Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Fisher Sound Panel 1972

This has certainly been a period in my life when strange speakers walk in the door looking for a doctor.
Latest patient - the Fisher Sound Panel ca 1972

The "R" denotes the "baffle" pattern

Inside is interesting:

I wanted to like these a lot - I had experimented with PE "exciters" a few years ago and found the sound field to be engaging,
and seemingly pretty balanced low to high. But I didn't like what I was hearing.
A quick session with Omnimic showed the problem:

Playing with EQ on Windows 10 made them sound almost acceptable, but in the end I will be glad to return them to their owner.

But it was an enjoyable excursion. =)

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
jr@macPWRRYDSilver1omoNicholas_23ugly_woofer6thplanetkennyk

Comments

• That's...interesting. Is it really just a piece of styrofoam with an exciter ? The shape looks a little too much like the old Yamaha NS-250, but I don't think I've ever seen those from behind to know what they looks like on the inside.

Nicholas_23
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited August 2021

Looks very "warm" sounding, based purely on the graph. I can dig the grill cloth, it would look groovy in my living room. Does anyone remember BES speakers?

• It really is styrofoam, extruded a bit thin for the "bass" driver, and a little thicker for the "tweeter".
    And although I saw several references to a "divider network", all I found inside was a 3.5N resistor.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I was going to reference that yammy as well , thats groovy . I like old sh$#$ like this !!

rjj45
  • Very cool, even if it doesn't measure great.

rjj45