Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

D2604/832002 LE

edited November 2016 in Reviews
The D2604 limited editions showed up today. Here are some teaser pics. More to come later. They are a beautiful driver. The biggest initial surprise is the thickness of the face plate. I have used the 833000 four times in the last five years or so and they do not, and have not come with an Al face plate. 

jr@mackennyk

Comments

• The build

Zero to hide. I have been a Scan Fanboi for many years. I believe they represent the best in what moving-coil type transducers can do, with Seas a close second.

One of the things that I feel makes Scan as good as they are is they simply build their drivers with purpose, then make sure they fulfill that purpose by over-building, and making sure everything is done with quality and precision. All of these points are well and fine but they have to add up to something exceptional, and of value, to mean anything. 

Unpacking them you can see by the weight and berth this is meant to be a serious tweeter. Even if my ADD camera decided to focus on the table cloth instead.

Pop off the faceplate and you have a high-glass (not sure if visible but you can see the striations) plastic assembly holding the dome. High glass plastic is very rigid due to fiberglass-type doping and not malleable like a straight polypropylene or polyethylene. I cannot remember the technical name for high-glass plastic, I am using old Texas Instruments lingo and from 15 years ago it is a bit faded. 
         Nice gasket on the underside, too that sits just proud of the mounting holes to assure compression. 

I think we all know the advantages to the features once the dome/coil assy is removed so I will spare those details, but you can see the nice, thick top-plate which is precision machined to match the coil/dome assy flawlessly. The gasket is some sort of hard, doped paper. 

The pole is undercut and copper-sleeved with a profiled middle stuffed with a circle of high-density foam into the chamber. I am unsure if the holes in the Ti former are for venting, weight reduction, or both. Knee-jerk says weight since it is a tweeter. The pic does not do it much justice, but the tinsel leads that run through the coil/dome assy are copper. 

I tried to gently remove the foam but it is aggressively attached to the inner-chamber stuffing which looks like a dense cotton.

Lastly, here is a pic head-on (apply directly to the forehead). This is where Scan always impresses. All of the metals are uniform, high quality ceramic magnet, and no discoloration anywhere. It is easy to see how they simply put quality first. 

So far, it seems like a good example of what $55 *should* buy in a tweeter. Z to come, they are burning in now. 
    jr@macFaceS7910kennykThumperTomNicholas_23squamishdrocJasonP
  • Fs unit 1 495Hz -1% from MFG spec
    Fs unit 2 501Hz +0.2% from MFG spec

The rest of the Z plots speak for themselves. I am going to try and get some decent Frequency measurements in the next week or so. 

jr@mackennyk
  • Thanks for the pics! Any plans for a project to use them in?
  • Thanks for the pics! Any plans for a project to use them in?
    No Problem. 

It will be a while before I get to them, but I am thinking a tall, 7"-8" MTM with a 12" or 15" PR. I will take advatange of crossing these low. 
  • Thanks for the info.  Look forward to your project with these.
  • Looks like Solen is holding a design contest with these tweeters and the matching woofer. Saw it on their FB page this morning, but looks like it is for residents of Quebec only. They are offering a 35% discount on the drivers for anyone wanting to enter the contest though.

http://www.quebecaudio.com/index.php/concours-solen-electronique-inc
    Mzisserson