Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Measuring for bookshelf speaker

Hi everyone- has been a while since I posted here - we moved and then I had to build a new shop. But I am back at building speakers finally =)
I am building a 5.1 surround system for someone and the main speakers will be bookshelf sized and will be on a bookshelf funny enough, my question is should I be measuring them in a similar location for the best results for xo design. I don't have a bookshelf in the new house but I could set them up on the mantle above the fireplace. I can't measure them in the house where they will end up as the guy lives 4 hours away. Thoughts?

Comments

• If they are going to be close to boundaries, just incorporate less BSC. Not much else can be predicted accurately. He likely has some type of correction that can be run on his AVR, as well.

I have a signature.
  • Generally, the room and location of the speaker is to be removed from the design criteria, unless you expect the speaker will be a permanent installation. My design criteria is to design the speaker for acoustic accuracy in anechoec chamber (reflection free environment), then you can EQ to adjust for the room if needed.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Any drivers smaller than 5-inch and a box tuning F3 above 60 hz it's not going to matter much. I'd use your normal design method for smaller drivers.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails