Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

high efficiency tweeter or horn cd?

edited October 2021 in DIY

Hi all -
Planning on a cheapish high efficiency 2 way, quite possibly MTM to get raw sensitivity into the 97-98 dB (maybe more) range before BSC, and want a high frequency section that can keep up and take a bit of power. Looking at 6-8 inch mid-woofers like FaitalPro 6FE100 or 8FE200 or Dayton PA200-8 . Want a low distortion HF option, but concerned that a CD horn will increase the C-T-C distance too much. The JBL D220 Ti looks nice. Any other horn-cd combinations that fit the bill for something less than about $150 a side?
thanks,
don

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:

Comments

• I've got some Peerless CDs that I'm looking forward to using in a SEOS horn. I'd recommend a horn that has a smooth exit transition to cut down on the honk.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited October 2021

@jhollander said:
    I've got some Peerless CDs that I'm looking forward to using in a SEOS horn. I'd recommend a horn that has a smooth exit transition to cut down on the honk.

yeah, I haven't heard that many horn designs, but worried about the "honk"
    I've been hearing a lot about the goodness of constant directivity horns, but recently AudioScience tested a JBL bookshelf with a bi-radial horn, and it had near perfect off axis response.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited October 2021

I like my Eminence ASD:1001 with the BH410 horn pretty well. They would fit nicely in an MTM with 6-10" mid woofers. I used them in my OBs at the most recent InDIYana event. They do not sound like horns to me except for the high efficiency. I heard someone comment about directionality, but I don't notice any issues in my listening room.

• edited October 2021

The mcm Axis axp-06 are pretty efficient 6.5" mid woofer. I threw a lot of power to them and they didn't complain.

• @jhollander said:
    I've got some Peerless CDs that I'm looking forward to using in a SEOS horn. I'd recommend a horn that has a smooth exit transition to cut down on the honk.

I think I have those same Peerless CD's and SEOS horns. I plan to use them some day with the pair of Delta Pro-12A woofers I bought from our late friend Jeff Bagby :(

jhollanderrjj45
  • Whatever is used in the econowaves I heard years ago, really impressed me. Didn't sound like a typical horn.

jonasz
  • The B&C DE250 were popular in the econowaves iirc, now the price is were I might consider something else.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I think the Dayton H6512 is a copy of the JBL/Pyle waveguides that were popular when the Econowave wave first started.

• I'm a big fan of the Delta Pro 12A, but not the D220ti. Go for at least a DE250 or one of the several DE250 knock offs out there if you want a big CD. If you don't need concert level volume, there's some Tymphany drivers that sacrifice a some sensitivity and power handling to provide a bit smoother response.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Wow - Is the response on the DFM-2535R00-08 spec sheet for real? It doesn't even look overly smoothed.

• edited October 2021

Factory response is rather squished to make it look good. Final response is dependent on the horn/waveguide that you mount it to, but I'm sure you found this when you put the part number into your favourite search engine:
    https://audioxpress.com/article/peerless-by-tymphany-dfm-2535r00-08-compression-driver

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I heard a DE-250 also at this years InDIYana meet. It was mounted in a Faital Pro horn and sounded excellent. Can't go wrong with either of those if they fit your budget.

• We heard a pretty damn good JBL clone in Grand Rapids this last month. I don't know if that kid lurks on the forums or not, but there was not a hint of honk or "shouting through cupped hands" sound.

Ben, who was he? I spent quite a bit of time chatting with him about his approach to designing the horn.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks everybody!

• Thanks! messaged the guy. If nothing else, this will give me a comparison to possibly higher--end solutions.