Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Two-way for shop

edited October 2021 in DIY

Wanting to build a pair of shop speakers for a place I worked this summer. More or less a bookshelf size pair of two-ways. Needs to reach low enough not to need a sub and loud enough to be heard cleanly over shop noises. Have some Peerless sds160f225pro1-08 https://parts-express.com/Peerless-SDS-160F25PR01-08-6-1-2-Paper-Cone-Woofer-Speaker-264-1146 and Vifa bc25sc06-4 https://madisoundspeakerstore.com/horn-tweeters/vifa-bc25sc06-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter/ sitting on the shelf needing a home. Working six days a week and no time to really build these things, much less design.
You guys have some builds using these?

Comments

• Oh, also need something to drive them. Adequate power, decent sounding, inputs, maybe bt, am/fm if possible, and cheap.

• edited October 2021

I've done a test build with that woofer and the BC25TG15, it was OK but the crossover wasn't quite right. Bass was good, better than its lookalike 830657. Spec-wise they look very similar and simmed FR is within 1 or 2 dB.

I 'borrowed' the XO from a commercial design which uses the 830657 and the BC25TG; it sounded too bright as specified and I think was crossed over too high (stated as 2,900 Hz) . Stated efficiency was 85dB. Stated Fs for your tweeter is 1390 Hz, c/w the BC25TG at 1128 Hz, so you might well need that higher XO point.

At the time, I had both woofers and apart from the bass, couldn't tell the difference sound-wise. My simmed XO point was about 2100 Hz and I used a small cap and resistor on the woofer as a notch filter.

You gave me some useful advice on my XO - thank you again - but as I was basing it on a sim, rather than measured data, it didn't quite work out. It's on the 'to do one day' list.

I haven't tried your tweeter, but it was used with a a 'buyout' version of the Peerless 830657 in a PETT build which used six (!) of the woofers and the B25SC:

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1290223-peerless-830657-for-6a-piece/page5

The dimensions of the smaller cabinet were 38cm h, 22.5cm w and 31 cm deep. Port was 70 x 185mm. The Peerless needs a large floor standing cabinet to show its best, bass-wise; I only tried it in the smaller vented box.

Power wise, I can't help as we still use our ancient Yamaha RX596 receiver: great sound but no Bluetooth.

HTH

Geoff

• edited October 2021

Planed on building the Trump Towers using the sds160f25 and bc25. The bc25 came from Don.
    I worked with another employer while on vacation from my present employer. Sort of a try it before you buy it kind of deal. The other place was a better place. More $. The owner actually gave a $hit. The people actually gave a $hit. And the owner was actively growing the business. The insurance suked and was the deal breaker.
    Anyhow, thinking of building them some kind of decent sound for the shop to show my appreciation.
    I'll check out the links.
    I'm just to used up on my only day off after working 55+ hr weeks (soon to be 7 days a week) to mess with building the thing, much less designing it.

... and you reminded me, may have some kind of plans already drawn up.

• I have the same drivers here, was thinking of a MTM. I could be convinced to do a tm if it helps. Those that know me know I'm SLOW. So be aware.

• Yeah look up my build on PETT ("Trump Towers" may be useful) - the final crossover is the best. look at the MTM portion and then apply the usual transform to a 2 way - double the inductor, and half the capacitor should get you very close.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!