Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

What to do with a quad of R176?

I have 4 of the Rival R176P paper cone drivers and am thinking about building a floor stander with them. I found Don's mtm build, but his uses the "CP" drivers. Has anyone else done a mtm or a 2.5 way with the "P" drivers?

Comments

• I don't know the exact differences between the P and the CP. They seem to be almost the same. I have a TMWW project in the works that uses the four CP version I have. I think Ben (Wolf) used the P version in one of his projects.

• Yeah- the Fenrir was the open-source commissioned kit RAD was selling from me. Sorry, only a TM though.

Thoughts- I would aim for 36ltrs with a pair of them. The manufacturer suggested 20/per, but I felt the bass was better controlled in 18 ltrs.

PWRRYDsquamishdroc
  • Ben, I have so many Rival drivers on the shelf, I could build 2 more MTMs.
    As far as I know, the TS parameters of all of the Rival R176* drivers were/are very close.
    If you'd like to taste an MLTL, I could load up the R176CPs in Hornresp and work it up.
    I am very happy with those MTMs. Tons of bass, lots of midrange clarity.

Don, Donno, or "Hey you" all work for me, But never "Mr Johnson"
  • Did you mean this to me? I'm referring to standard vented alignments at 36 ltrs for a pair. The Xmax is better controlled in the 18ltr Fenrir than a 20ltr by comparison or theoretical models.
    I have no reason to attempt an MTM/TMM with R176 as I only have one pair of them here.

• @Wolf said:
    Did you mean this to me? I'm referring to standard vented alignments at 36 ltrs for a pair. The Xmax is better controlled in the 18ltr Fenrir than a 20ltr by comparison or theoretical models.
    I have no reason to attempt an MTM/TMM with R176 as I only have one pair of them here.

Oh, sorry, of course I meant to reply to @squamishdroc

• @rjj45 said:
    Ben, I have so many Rival drivers on the shelf, I could build 2 more MTMs.
    As far as I know, the TS parameters of all of the Rival R176* drivers were/are very close.
    If you'd like to taste an MLTL, I could load up the R176CPs in Hornresp and work it up.
    I am very happy with those MTMs. Tons of bass, lots of midrange clarity.

That would be great - thanks👍

• OK, post or send me the TS parameters.

• Here are the specs for the woofers - there is a bit of difference between the two as one set have not been used and the others have been in a build for about a year or so.

Used drivers,

New drivers,

• Ok, I'll run the sim with the used numbers because they always shift during breakin.

• @rjj45 said:
    Ok, I'll run the sim with the used numbers because they always shift during breakin.

Thanks👍

• The only difference between the 'P' and the 'CP' is the coating.

• @Gowa said:
    The only difference between the 'P' and the 'CP' is the coating.

That's what I thought, but the TS parameters are quite a bit different it seems, unless the DATS output was incorrect for some reason. I thought that all of the R176 versions were very similar for TSP. In particular, the CP were shown with .36 QTS and the values above are .43 QTS.

• @squamishdroc - I searched for R176 here, and not only found the R176P, I found a MTM MLTL design by the great PaulK. I think this will work perfectly for you.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1367/2111/files/R176-P-08-Cabinet-MTM.pdf?9731610971613362139

• @rjj45 said:
    @squamishdroc - I searched for R176 here, and not only found the R176P, I found a MTM MLTL design by the great PaulK. I think this will work perfectly for you.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1367/2111/files/R176-P-08-Cabinet-MTM.pdf?9731610971613362139

Thanks Don - don't know how I didn't see that when I was searching.

rjj45
  • @squamishdroc said:

@rjj45 said:
    @squamishdroc - I searched for R176 here, and not only found the R176P, I found a MTM MLTL design by the great PaulK. I think this will work perfectly for you.

Thanks Don - don't know how I didn't see that when I was searching.

You cannot do any better than a PaulK MLTL.