Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rebuilding the Dayton MK602X sort of..........

edited February 2022 in DIY

After seeing Craig's build using the new GF180 I thought I would grab a pair and try a set out for myself. I also purchased a set of the new TD25F tweeters to make up a nice inexpensive build. Total came to just under $110cdn plus taxes - not too bad. I did end up with the 8 ohm woofers though as Solen didn't have the 4 ohm in stock. Now at this point I didn't realize that I had basically bought the drivers that Dayton uses in the MK602X speaker. I then watched Erin's review of the driver on his channel complete with all his Klippel data so I guess I have a reference to go off to see if it can be improved. First thing I do with these stamped frame drivers is add some sound deadener to the baskets - surprisingly it does make a difference when you knock on the speaker frame. I am going to go with a bit bigger box for this build to help extend the low end a bit - box is going to be .7cf and WinISD says an F3 of 45hz or so. I just need to get some more mdf this week and I will make a test box before committing to using my BB ply. More to come...

Small video of the difference with the deadener.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TnqxunY91uQ

Comments

• I would also recommend tapping on the frame once it's bolted down to a sheet of wood, quite a difference on its own vs free-air as far as frame ringing goes.

squamishdroc
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.