Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

HiVi F10 Woofer - Any experiences?

Hi Guys, I picked up a pair of Hivi F10 woofers at PE over the weekend at MWAF 2022. I know @ugly_woofer has used them before in his Stink Eyes, but I can't find any documentation on that to show what kind of performance he got. I measured TS parameters with DATS before/after break-in (no significant difference), but there is an apparent difference between my DATS measurement and Hivi's spec sheet.

When I use both the spec sheet and my DATS measurements in BassBox Pro, I get different performances, which makes me think I'm going to need two test boxes to see what is real. The screenshot below shows a 1cuft cabinet for the spec sheet version, and a roughly 0.75 cuft cabinet for the DATS version to get the same kind of roll-off, just with different F3 predictions.

Anyone have experience with this woofer in vented cabs? What did you end up choosing?

Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• I have not used this driver but looking at your measured DATS data I don't think I have had a driver measure that much differently then the spec sheet. The spec sheet says it has a Kapton former which explains the high Qms values (High Qms - low electrical dampening). The spec sheet's Qms of 1.79 is what you usually see with drivers with aluminum voice coil formers. To me this driver seems like not a good fit for a bass reflex design but if weight was added to the cone the Fs and Sensitivity would go down and the Qts would go up which would work better in a bass reflex alignment. The Vas is related to the cone area and Cms value - the Cms value is different then the spec sheet too by quite a bit.

• Hey Shawn! I've head that some suppliers are notoriously off the mark on their spec sheets. I thought tang band was the usual offender there, but maybe Hivi gets an honorable mention? I could try a sealed cabinet too just to see how it performs. I don't want to make these active, so adding some bass boost to a sealed design is out of the question here. Something else to think about I suppose.

• I've seen worse variance. Aurum Cantus are generally far worse, for example. One of the ones I had the Qt was off by almost an order of magnitude, the other one was only off about 5x. Junk.

Of course I was read the riot act by AC fanclub members about my methodology, but come on...
    At least your pair are reasonably well matched. See what happens when you add DCR of a typical 4mH 18awg air core, you might be impressed.

I have a signature.
  • Hey Keith it's been years since I used it, but I'm going to be of very little help because I used it as a sub. If memory serves it was about 2 cuft vented EBS alignment and I utilized only in the shelf giving me an f3 in the high 20's, 27hz comes to mind. Sorry, no help, I know.

• edited August 2022

@KEtheredge87 said:
    When I use both the spec sheet and my DATS measurements in BassBox Pro, I get different performances, which makes me think I'm going to need two test boxes to see what is real.

Huh? Your measurements are real, you may now throw the datasheet away. The datasheet appears quite out to lunch with low Qms for a kapton former, and it also shows high Mms for a 10" driver, which coincides with a lower VAS result. Your measurements look more like what I would expect for that type of driver.

The parameters themselves lend themselves to more of a EBS type of alignment. 40 Litres tuned around 42-45Hz is probably where I would land.

@Shawn_K said:
    The spec sheet says it has a Kapton former which explains the high Qms values (High Qms - low electrical dampening). The spec sheet's Qms of 1.79 is what you usually see with drivers with aluminum voice coil formers.

Indeed. You may also see a decrease in Qms if the measurement is overly smoothed or low resolution, however this case is a bit extreme for either of those scenarios.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Thanks everyone. I'll keep fiddling with this over time. Might even build a standard vented box and an EBS box to test it eventually.