Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

PWRRYD's InDIYana 2023 theme project build thread

edited August 2022 in DIY

Thought I'd start a thread that will show some design and build details of my Indy 2023 theme project.

Rules copied and pasted from Ben's post on PETT:

_Minor rules include:

• 2-way passive designs only, stand mounts preferred but not required.
  • cabinet volume to be 1.5ft^3 or less.
  • woofer must be an 8-12". Yes, I said 12".
  • no tweeter faceplate must exceed 4.125" diameter or edge to edge.
  • no large waveguides allowed, see faceplate rule.
  • no dollar limits, spend or not!
  • no in-stock, buyout, or NLA driver limits. If you have it on the shelf, the above apply, and wish to use it- PLEASE DO! Use up the stuff you've had sitting.
  • No cabinet over 40 lbs will be hefted for demo by the InDIYana planning crew. If you build heavy, you can set them up! =-)_

Initially planned on only using drivers that I already had on the shelf, but with a couple of drivers that I've always wanted to try popping up on sale.... I just couldn't help myself.

My woofers will be the Dayton Audio RS270P-4A. It is currently on sale for $94.98 (10" woofer - check)

My tweeters will be the 1" Peerless DX25BG60-04 (aka the Beast Modes). It is currently on sale at Madisound for $26.00 (4.1" diameter faceplate - check)

The Dayton woofer models decently in both a sealed box and a ported box. Since the theme rules allow a gross internal volume up to 1.5 cubic feet, I am going to take advantage of the deeper bass this woofer will produce in a ported enclosure. (enclosure gross internal =< 1.5 cubic feet - check)

Probably something like this:

A lot more to follow.

kenrhodesSteve_LeeSilver1omosquamishdrocrjj45

Comments

• edited August 2022

Nice, I've got my woofers selected and bought. About the same F3. Still trying to figure out something more interesting than another box 2-way. Ben nixed my Omni idea.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Nice, I've got my woofers selected and bought. About the same F3. Still trying to figure out something more interesting that another box 2-way. Ben nixed my Omni idea.

Did I see no mention of the number of driers? OB?

• My driver choices probably won't make this project too tough crossover wise. I could have made things even easier and just used the bare minimum woofer size of 8", like maybe a RS225P, but I've really wanted to work with and hear the 270P. So if this doesn't work out I can always redeploy them in a 3 way project :)

• You have chosen drivers well, I look fwd to your results!

• @Kornbread said:

@jhollander said:
    Nice, I've got my woofers selected and bought. About the same F3. Still trying to figure out something more interesting that another box 2-way. Ben nixed my Omni idea.

Did I see no mention of the number of driers? OB?

Yeah this is Craig's thread. I'll post something once I get it figured out.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • My pair of Beast Mode tweeters arrived today from Madisound. Physically speaking they ARE total Beasts! Right down to their super thick aluminum faceplates. Awesome build quality. Can't wait to messure them and start my favorite part of DIY, crossover design and voicing.

• edited August 2022

Got my pair of RS270P-4A's today. Dayum, I forgot how big 10" woofers are :#

These suckers better do a strong 40 Hz or some bitch will be very
    disappointed lol

ugly_wooferjr@macSilver1omoSteve_Lee6thplanetrjj45
  • Looking at the 1st graph I posted, the simulated FR from Unibox, I see the port output having lots of energy right around 720 Hz. Seems to be the primary resonance of the port. I remember how Scott Sehlin had a port issue too and how he tamed it with some holes drilled in the port tubes covered with damping. Keeping all that in my back pocket because I'll likely have to copy him on that.

BilletSteve_Lee
  • Was going to post a picture of a stack of cut MDF panels but why? Anyway, making some early progress on my InDIYana theme entry.

• About,

"no tweeter faceplate must exceed 4.125" diameter or edge to edge."

How does this apply to square faceplates?

Side to side <4.25", top to bottom <4.25"?

Does it need to be <4.25" diagonally as well?

Sorry to split hairs here...

David.

• @DaveFred said:
    About,

David.

I read the rule to mean round faceplates can't be more than 4.125" and rectangular faceplates can't exceed 4.125 edge to edge.

Ron

• @Ron_E said:

@DaveFred said:
    About,

David.

I read the rule to mean round faceplates can't be more than 4.125" and rectangular faceplates can't exceed 4.125 edge to edge.

Ron

That is how I read it too, and selected a tweeter based on that.

But as I am working on the actual speaker the diagonal came to mind....

• 4x4 square, or 4.125" diameter. It is stated in the thread.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Was going to post a picture of a stack of cut MDF panels but why? Anyway, making some early progress on my InDIYana theme entry.

I thought you had mentioned in another thread you had abandoned this. I'm glad you didn't because this sounds like a nice combo and one that other people may likely want to build.

• I did actually abandon this theme project. I already cut the MDF and purchased the RS270P-4 woofers. So I will build "a" project but it won't qualify for the theme contest. It uses tweeters with a faceplate bigger than the rules allow, mounted in waveguides WAY bigger than the rules allow. Probably will still finish the project and bring it to Indy just to demo.

Silver1omo
  • @Wolf said:
    4x4 square, or 4.125" diameter. It is stated in the thread.

I thought that I had read that somewhere, but I could not find it again...

Thanks for the confirmation!

David.

• Will it be an off-the-shelf or publicly available 3d printable WG, or are you doing something custom made?

• It is a pair of custom waveguides I won as a door prize in Indy a number of years ago. I believe Dan P made them. About 10" in diameter and 2" deep. Their throat opening is perfect for a RS28A with the faceplate and protective screen in place, or a 30-32 mm dome with the faceplate removed (i.e. the Peerless DA32TX00 or the Wavecor TW030).