Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic, my other new hobby

![](https://diy.midwestaudio.club/uploads/editor/d5/3oy4tl
wwq29h.jpg "")

While recovering from surgery, my wonderful wife bought me a PitBoss pellet grill for my bday. It's something that I have been wanting to try for sometime. I enjoy good bbq, but it's damn hard to find. And while I "wood" like an offset smoker, I know I just don't have the time to baby sit a fire. I've been doing a lot of cooking on
it so far trying my hand at brisket, pulled pork, ribs, pizza
and today, pork belly burnt ends. Learning a lot (thank you YouTube and Pinterest lol). Lots more recipes in the
future! My friends and family are loving my "experiments".

joeybuttsNicholas_23

Comments

• I love cooking with my electric smoker, mostly ribs and pork loins. I have smoked a couple pork butts and they turned out great but they were a lot of work (13 hours). Congrats Chuck on your new hobby!

• edited August 2022

I'll allow this off-topic because of:

A. Non controversial
    B. We have a food related thread elsewhere on here

That being said, as most around here know I am a foodie and a fairly accomplished cook. I smoked 13 pork butts this summer for a family reunion. That was an incredible amount of food to prepare for one meal!

I have a signature.
  • Look up "Bacon Explosion". I had it at a friends cookout one time. I've never tasted anything like that before (it was great).

• Fish can be pretty darn good cooked on the smoker.

• @Kornbread said:
    Fish can be pretty darn good cooked on the smoker.

A piece of nice and fatty salmon or tuna can be awesome.

rjj45
  • What, no tofu?

• edited August 2022

The wife has smoked some Salmon. While she loves it, I cannot stand the stuff. To me, it smells and tastes like Carp.

Since trying to cut back on fats, instead of frying Crappie and Catfish, a lot of times we place the fillets in a baker's pan, brush them with a little olive oil, coat in whatever seasoning suits the fancy, and off to the Trager. Honestly, it's hard to beat the taste of fresh caught that day fish fried up in the frydaddy, but I can only eat maybe 3-4 small fillets before hitting my grease limit. When we smoke them, I can literally eat a dozen fillets and never have to worry about later having grease heartburn. It's been a chore learning the technique as a little time one way or the other and they are under cooked, or tough as an old shoe. Still don't get that right all the time.

The loins the AWA smoked all came out delicious. Pork yum. Chicken yum. Burgers ... over the top. So far, about the only kind of meat that hasn't turned out pretty darn good on the smoker is venison, and a meh on Elk.

I really like that smoker.

• Tell me more about the over the top burgers on the smoker. I would like to try that.

• I've smoked somewhere around 10 pork butts since I got the smoker in April. Trying some side dishes next week (beans, shotgun shells, jalapeños poppers). Chicken can be tricky b75 the first attempt came good for my first attempt.

• edited August 2022

@PWRRYD said:
    Look up "Bacon Explosion". I had it at a friends cookout one time. I've never tasted anything like that before (it was great).

If I tell my friends I am making one of these they are lining up at my front door to get some =)

Looks great Chuck!

PWRRYD
  • you'll need to bring enough for the whole class

PWRRYDrjj45
  • Off the smoker for dinner. I'll crisp in the oven. One wrapped for shredded chicken

kenrhodeshifisideNicholas_23
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Is it just me or is it crazy that so many of us here share the same multiple hobbies? Not JUST diy speaker design/building but also cars, computers, smoking/cooking, on and on. Birds of a feather flock together?

GeoffMillar
  • No photo, but we love lamb fillets or 'back straps' marinated in honey, brandy, balsamic vinegar and black pepper, then cooked on the barbeque for about 5 mins a side. Drowned in a sauce made from the marinade, red wine and redcurrant jelly. Delicious!

Geoff

• @PWRRYD said:
    Is it just me or is it crazy that so many of us here share the same multiple hobbies? Not JUST diy speaker design/building but also cars, computers, smoking/cooking, on and on. Birds of a feather flock together?

I was thinking the same thing. This is awesome!

• edited August 2022

@PWRRYD said:
    Tell me more about the over the top burgers on the smoker. I would like to try that.

Sorry to disappoint, but it's just a plain ole hand patted burger patty cooked in the smoker. Add whatever your favorite other things are in between the buns, and it kicks everything up a notch. Sometimes the simpler things are awesome. We also cook squash, onions, broccoli and cauliflower, if we're going to fire up the smoker. I do not care for chicken but if smoked on the grill, it's mmmmm.

And the jalapeno wrapped chicken breast pieces with bacon wrapped around the outside ... mmm good on the smoker.

jhollander
  • edited August 2022

Wonder if we could ever have a speaker/food meat?

• Sorry Chuck to side track your thread but... a couple questions for Kornbread. At what temp and for how long do you smoke the hamburger patties? Do you flip them half way? What is the prefered wood? Fruity woods like apple/cherry or oak/hickory/mesquite?

• @Kornbread said:
    Wonder if we could ever have a speaker/food meat?

JR an I have spoke about this in the past. We did do a couple Dakota DIY events with food and beers.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Sorry Chuck to side track your thread but... a couple questions for Kornbread. At what temp and for how long do you smoke the hamburger patties? Do you flip them half way? What is the prefered wood? Fruity woods like apple/cherry or oak/hickory/mesquite?

All good. When I do burgers, I smoke them at 220 until internal temp of 155. I use Lowrys seasoning salt or Weber flavor bb or Kinders buttery burger blend depending on the mood. Mesquite and charcoal mix pellets

• FWIW, my burger recipe:

500 lean beef mince
    1 medium carrot, finely diced
    1 large red onion, finely diced
    1 egg
    two tablespoons tomato paste
    two tablespoons honey mustard
    two tablespoons oat bran or breadcrumbs
    black pepper

no garlic as I'm allergic!

soften carrot and onion in olive oil for about 10 minutes, then allow to cool a bit; add to the other ingredients and mix together by hand, make into eight patties and put in fridge for about two hours.

we don't have a smoker but these are nice just cooked on the barbeque, about eight minutes a side.

Geoff

• My favorite Burgers have been rabbit. No question. Make it like a sausage recipe and add Sage for freshness.

• More highjack, as we also did St. Louis ribs last weekend there are a lot of rib trimmings. We ended up making 4 pounds of breakfast sausage from the trimmings.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Wolf said:
    My favorite Burgers have been rabbit.

Few people in Oz eat rabbit, largely because of hangovers from the Great Depression when rabbits were in plague proportions and considered the food of poor people. Even over 80 years later, that attitude still prevails.

Most butchers, and very few supermarkets, even sell it. Rabbits are still a widespread and highly damaging pest, and at least they're edible, unlike the **%$!!# cane toads.

Haven't tried rabbit burgers, will give it a try - if I can find some.

Geoff

• I like Bugs Bunny. It's a dark meat, not super fatty, but very tender. Had it in a soup in Denmark which was one of the best soups I've ever had. And of course there is Hasenpfeffer which is totally awesome.

• A long time ago there was an expedition that actually went nuts because they ate rabbit because that's what was available. The problem with that is that there was not enough fat on the rabbits to actually keep them sane.

• My dad happens to know a breeder and when you breed rabbits, you have plenty of rabbits. So he gets a whole bunch of cast offs now and then, butchers and makes the sausage himself. It is absolutely delicious.

• My main problem is I can't hit one even if I were to go hunt them myself. I'm just not that good a shot.