Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MiniDSP squealing noise . . .

edited August 2022 in DIY

Is there any way to reduce the squealing noise produced by the MiniDSP 4X10 HD Active XO unit?

While idled without source audio I hear it and when playing orchestral music at low level I hear it.

Additionally even though I am feeding it via an Optical SPdif signal connection, the PC source and its attendant noises are getting through to the DSP unit.

I wonder if the newer MiniDSP Flex8 unit is going to be any quieter . . .

Thoughts?

Comments

• Odd. I always had noise issues with the Dayton dsp408 but the plain minidsp2x4 was always quiet. Are others reporting issues with noise? I think minidsp has a forum, not sure how active it is, but might be worth a shot.

Steve_Lee
  • I would investigate gain settings.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • OK, I just did a search and got into the manual - looks like as shipped the input gains are defaulted to jumpers open = 2.0 V for Unbalanced connections (which are what this unit has) I can change the input sensitivity to 0.9V so that I have to drive the input signal hotter which will overcome the noise floor of the factory setting (I hope).

I am driving PA speakers/CD's so their sensitivity is high to begin with . . .

• edited August 2022

Alright - I changed the input gains to 0.9V and it does clean it up but there is still a mild 60 Hz hum but I can live with it.

The high pitched squeal still shows up on the Analog input from the Focus Rite 2i2 unit connected to my drums as it affords recording and playback where the MiniDSP 4x10HD is only a playback device.

I need to check if the newer MiniDSP Flex8 unit does full duplex record/playback as an ASIO device - if it does then I can get rid of the Focus Rite 2i2 and some extra cables/converters . . . The squeal is annoying and triggers my Tinnitus.

Thanks for listening/feedback <-- Double entendre' . . . =)

• Ooooh!

I got to thinking more about the input gains and tried cutting the Analog ins on the MiniDSP 4x10HD down to -12db from 0db and then boosting the output of the Focus Rite 2i2 to compensate and now the squeal is gone!

60 Hz hum is still there but no big deal - 1 meter away from the speakers, I cannot hear it over the little fan keeping me cool . . .

Thanks, JR.

• I didn't think I could improve upon the sound of this system but these little tweaks tonight with the gains have just made it sound like sitting in the studio session regardless of the volume level - no discernible distortion and clean.

Crank it up and just more sweetness.

Tin Pan Alley by SRV - wow.

• @Kornbread said:
    Odd. I always had noise issues with the Dayton dsp408 but the plain minidsp2x4 was always quiet. Are others reporting issues with noise? I think minidsp has a forum, not sure how active it is, but might be worth a shot.

The MiniDSP forum is pretty dead which is why I asked here.

You guys know which side is up and while I frequently don't initially understand your advice - once I consider it and experiment I find that you give good guidance.

Thanks.

rjj45