Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

OT: Car Cleaning and Detailing

I got lot of bugs... dead smashed bloody grimy died stuck bugs on the nose of my car that just refuses to go away in a car wash.

what recommended product and techique can i use to get my car bug free? Also anything for the interior? Something available locally would be good.

The exterior is wrapped in clear Xflim, interior is alcantera and leather. Don't want to get the flim to lift off and though i have leather cleaner, alcantera is not leather?

Comments

• These answers should be easily found by an internet search.

For bugs just use any degreaser product really. Dish soap is fine. Don't let them stay on your car very long, bug guts are acidic and can eat through your car's finish leaving permanent marks.

Alcantera is microfibre based synthetic suede. Not leather.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The "old school" Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover worked better than anything else I've ever used, hands down. It used a petroleum based solvent. The current Turtle Wax and other bug and tar removers are now water based and barely work better than standard dish washing soap. So that's what I use now, just plain old Dawn and warm water and a car washing spunge. It works but requires more physical work (ie more rubbing). Just note: most all bug removers, as well as dish washing liquid will also remove any coats of car wax. I've found that only the jugs of car wash you add to a bucket of warm water will remove the dirt but not strip off the wax.

• Fresh bottle of dishwashing soap it is. Anything to apply after washing with soap, scrubbing and rinsing and towel drying? No idea if the Xflim has any soft of wax or coating on it.

The bugs have been marinating for a bit too long... hence the stuck dried mess.... thought will get to it, only ended up adding more bugs....

• I do have a pressure washer, but not wanting to use it, the high pressure can lift off the film...

so just hose and scrub and hose and scrub and repeat???

• edited September 2022

Yikes, no dish soap on your car, use a silicone car wash soap like Maguire's Gold Class and two bucket method. To clean bugs I like the 3D bug remover about $16 on Amazon. I use a clay bar for getting the tough bugs off. You will need a decent wax/ coating after clay baring. The bugs come off much easier after that. I recommend Maguire Hybrid Ceramic. Both my cars have the XPEL film.

A power washer will not lift XPEL unless you focus it on the edges and very close. Use a power washer and foam cannon with the car wash soap before using a micro fiber car wash mitt. I'd foam the whole car wait 5 minutes then power wash, then repeat once more. Apply the 3D bug remover, then power wash off. Wash the whole car then clay bar the front and mirrors. Maybe clay bar the whole car if you are going to do the hybrid/ ceramic wax.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Yikes, no dish soap on your car, use a silicone car wash soap like Maguire's Gold Class and two bucket method. To clean bugs I like the 3D bug remover about $16 on Amazon. I use a clay bar for getting the tough bugs off. You will need a decent wax/ coating after clay baring. The bugs come off much easier after that. I recommend Maguire Hybrid Ceramic. Both my cars have the XPEL film.

A power washer will not lift XPEL unless you focus it on the edges and very close. Use a power washer and foam cannon with the car wash soap before using a micro fiber car wash mitt. I'd foam the whole car wait 5 minutes then power wash, then repeat once more. Apply the 3D bug remover, then power wash off. Wash the whole car then clay bar the front and mirrors. Maybe clay bar the whole car if you are going to do the hybrid/ ceramic wax.

Do you use the clay bar and ceramic wax on the film? The entire car is wrapped.

• Yes, except if you use real clay then stay away from exposed XPEL edges. The clay gets stuck in the edge. The synthetic (rubber) clay pads can go over the XPEL edges.

• Don't use dish soap unless you plan to wax the car. WD40 removes bugs.

Steve_Lee
  • Silicone anything on car paint? Are you serious?

• edited September 2022

WD40 is FISH oil - not silicone.

OOOps! I was wrong.

https://www.foodreference.com/html/facts-wd40-fish-oil.html

• Most every car product today has silicone in it. I don't like the solvents in WD40, so I avoid it on my PPF

• Just started wet sanding and polishing the hood of my beater truck and she is looking NOICE. I’ll try and get some pics….