Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Weird but cool SB driver

2»

Comments

• edited March 2023

;) Get outa my head damnit. Was just thinking about what a low Q wide notch would do.

• edited March 2023

Doesn't take much. Figured leave a little on the table to play with tow-in. Dang, for a $60 single driver. Might need to get another pair to play with more.

kenrhodes6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • I have been playing around with a pair of these for the last couple of months. My buddy has picked up a pair and was not sure what he wanted to do with them, so he let me play with them. I put them in 3 cubic foot enclosures and ran them wide open. They are a bit shouty in the vocals as stated. The bass was quite good. I then played around open baffle just for fun, but did not have any bass drivers to pair with, so they sounded too lean for my taste in the scenario. I also tried a baffle step compensation filter along with a low Q notch. I had a flat on axis response and they were super dull at that point. They may sound good with the notch and with little to no baffle step compensation or with a lesser notch and some baffle step. I haven't gone any further with them.

6thplanetDrewsBrews
  • edited March 2023

I had heard of baffle step circuits dulling fullrange drivers. Typically takes big inductors so would be easy to lean into iron cores. Though for the high price such drivers would command I figured folks wouldn't bat an eye at low gauge air cores at least. If not the fancy litz wire or foil stuff. So I guess even that doesn't help?

To try and get around that, they would get 2 pair of drivers and put the second one firing up or back... or split the difference and chop the top-back corner off and mount it firing at 45deg angle.

• I think too often people treat full range drivers like a 2-way. I don't think ruler flat ever sounds good on a full range. To me they need a rise on the top end to sound natural. Feel free to give it a smiley face eq and see if you agree.

Steve_LeeBillet
  • Part of it has to do with the off axis responses of FR drivers being worse as freq increases and beaming sounds more forward with a flat upper range.

Steve_Lee
  • Open baffle full range a notch typically alone works better knocking down the peak at the baffle step. But then you just have a nice midrange after that.

Steve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • If my buddy doesn't end up doing anything with these drivers, I would like to add a SB Audience Bianco-15OB350 15" Open Baffle Woofer and see how that sounds. I am really curious how good open baffle system sounds. I may need a tweeter in order to be happy though.