Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Favorite glazing putty

The title says it all, does anyone have a glazing putty that they really like? I hate the Bondo stuff and the USC red isn't to my liking either. I'm just looking for suggestions to try, or else I'll just take a stab and order something.

Comments

• https://www.homedepot.com/p/Durham-s-Rock-Hard-DU-4-4-lb-Water-Putty-DU-4/202535298

Use this as hole filler in Mdf. Seems to stay stable. I prime with a high build primer and sand from there. I don't know why you would ask me, your work is far better than mine.

• edited October 2022

Everyone has products that they like, and there are a large number of glazing putty products out there. U-pol, Dolphin, 3M, and Evercoat just to name a few. I thought that perhaps some of you guys might a favorite, for instance, I like 3M platinum filler and find it better than Rage and miles better than Bondo.

• I like and use this one from Evercoat. It sands fast.
    https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/product/evercoat-metal-glaze-ultra-425

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Everyone has products that they like, and there are a large number of glazing putty products out there. U-pol, Dolphin, 3M, and Evercoat just to name a few. I thought that perhaps some of you guys might a favorite, for instance, I like 3M platinum filler and find it better than Rage and miles better than Bondo.

Better than the plain "Rage" or the Rage Gold or Rage Ultra?

Before the pandemic a gallon of Bondo was like $25 at Wal-mart and I got a gallon of the 3M Platinum for something like $85 at one of the NAPA-type places and it really hurt, being the cheapskate that I am. I recently, post-pandemic inflation, got a gallon of Rage Ultra for about $140. I do not have a preference between the Platinum and Rage Ultra, I just got what was available and was NOT Bondo. However, I have only used the Bondo glazing putty because it was easy to get at Home Depot or Menards, so looking forward to the suggestions in this thread.

• I use Napa brand ProGold for hobby’s and work. Half the price and just as good as anything else.

• @hifiside said:
    I use Napa brand ProGold for hobby’s and work. Half the price and just as good as anything else.

I believe it’s a Martin Senior product for Napa

•  John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • What do you hate about the Bondo glazing putty? (I hate Bondo brand filler.) I have a brand new tube of Bondo brand putty but buying some of that NAPA pro gold today to see the difference.

• Always clogs up the paper.

• @a4eaudio said:
    What do you hate about the Bondo glazing putty? (I hate Bondo brand filler.)

I don't really like it for the same reasons that I find the body filler lacking. I don't like the way it goes on, or the way it sands. It's usable, but I try to make my life as easy as possible. Just getting lazy in my old age. =)

PWRRYD