Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

ESS Heil AMT's Arrived today . . .

Wow - they are heavy!
Resistance checks = 3.9 and 3.8 Ohms - look good too.

In the box I also received a pair of ESS-PLM-713 Headphones for free (didn't expect that at all).
They sound fabulous - super detailed, clean bass, light and easy on the ears/head - Ebony wood enclosures - still have them on while typing this . . . I would have bought/paid for these now that I have heard them.

1st tweeters I have owned that came with their own cabinet . . . . :3

Comments

• Nice looking headphones as well

Steve_Lee
  • I got a pair of the ESS 252 headphones a year or 2 ago, and like them a lot.
    I almost bought into this sale, but I've already got 2 pair on the shelf, and this looks
    like they are retooling their line for even better performance. (ok, I've often been wrong)
    I've got a sample analog filter doc for them somewhere, but I'm going to spin mine up with
    a Minidsp at first.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'd be interested in your findings with a passive XO for these down the road rjj45 but, like you I will play with them using MiniDSP until I settle upon an appropriate driver combo.

I am more excited about these AMTs than the horns and CDs awaiting some sweeps right now . . .

• I have a pair of the mid-sized AMT's and am curious as to how you'll handle that crazy dip and spike response they all seem to have. I also have two pair of their headphones, but not the third with the Heil driver - those were already sold out. The less expensive set has much better bass response.

Steve_Lee
  • Funny thing about AMT drivers, they sound a lot better than their measurements would have you believe.

rjj45Steve_LeeOscarJr
  • @6thplanet said:
    Funny thing about AMT drivers, they sound a lot better than their measurements would have you believe.

Yeah, people don't say "pretty good" or such, they say "wow, outstanding clarity and dynamics".
    So if we can just flatten the response a bit, I think these can be used in many high end builds.
    I briefly played with monopole vs dipole response during a test, and didn't see a lot of difference.
    Also there is the "wings" versus "no wings" variations.

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yeah
    Lots of people listen with their eyes.

Steve_Lee
  • @6thplanet said:
    Yeah
    Lots of people listen with their eyes.

Or their wallets

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • edited October 2022

Once again into the breach! I put the Mid-sized into PDC tonight and still see that huge 9dB swing from 4k-6.2k. First it spikes to 90.9dB at 4k, then immediately drops down to 82.1dB @ 6.2k. (Nominal is 86.5dB)

When they were part of a three-way I was working on they were difficult to listen to. Most recently I crossed them to a Rival 6.5" at 2200, then to the woofer at 350. Then I tried them without the low end and just ran it with the Rival for grins/giggles and that was even more painful. There's an old Usher 8955A in the collection and maybe that might be their next pairing. Seems a shame to have spent $300 on them and not be able to make them pleasurable.

• Hey Marty!
    Can you tell us more about this particular Heil Tweeter like a model number and how your measurement room might be effecting the response please sir - I need to understand this stuff as I am in my shop and about to run some sweeps on the Original Great Heil unit. (And I am pretty new to this measurement stuff).

Are you using PCD (Passive Crossover Designer) for modeling or actual measurement?

How are you applying XO's? (Passive or Active).

Thanks, man!

• I got the frd and zma files direct from ESS. They make three versions of the AMT, with the midsize being the one I have - there's no specific model number that goes with it. The Original version was a much larger unit than the midsized, and was designed to play as low as 800hz. The midsize can reach down to about 1500 comfortably. But all of them (all three sizes) shared that same wonky response characteristic, and there's not doubt the 'flaw' is there as you can read about it and see it in any measurement posted in any chatroom. I don't know if it's inherent in the design of the diaphragm, or if the shape of the waveguide is impacting it, but in my room it drove me crazy.

Steve_Lee
  • This is what I saved from some forum (possibly HTGuide) - have not tried it.

Steve_Lee
  • Here's my pair I got a while ago (and yes they are heavy!). Just been sitting on the shelf. Mine measure 6.1 & 5.9 ohms respectively. Came with two sets of diaphragms. I was told one pair of diaphragms (red/green leads) are rated for high power. I don't have any documentation on them & they haven't been tested.......

Steve_Lee
  • What a shame to let them just languish, LoB!

I think the ones I have are going to sit on top of the SLeeperz project cabinet build or if we come up with suitable cone drivers and passive XO's they might go in the living room or . . . man! there are so many possibilities!

:3

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Wow - they are heavy!
    Resistance checks = 3.9 and 3.8 Ohms - look good too.

In the box I also received a pair of ESS-PLM-713 Headphones for free (didn't expect that at all).
    They sound fabulous - super detailed, clean bass, light and easy on the ears/head - Ebony wood enclosures - still have them on while typing this . . . I would have bought/paid for these now that I have heard them.

1st tweeters I have owned that came with their own cabinet . . . . :3

I saw the low prices on their headphones and added a pair to the cart - went to checkout and the shipping to Canada was more than the headphones :'(

Steve_Lee
  • Shipping cost are crazy due to energy policy in this country . . . and all over for that matter.

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Shipping cost are crazy due to energy policy in this country . . . and all over for that matter.

Let's not get into why shipping is expensive. Period.

Steve_LeeMartyHBrannigansLaw
    I have a signature.
  • I ordered a set of one of their headphones.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • ESS is an awesome company. I ordered just the cans on the right, they sent me another pair and a little BT adapter.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • They were selling those for $60 for the pair several months ago (+ about $40 shipping). I broke one of the little plastic parts that go on top of your head on the RLM7-713s. I tried to super glue it but it wouldn't work so I emailed them if they had a replacement part. They didn't reply, but I soon got a "We received your order" email and figured they were sending me a replacement pair of the 713s, which was pretty nice of them. But they just duplicated the order so I got another pair a few days later. So I have a pair of EACH, although one with a broken piece that goes to my son who would have probalby brokent it anyways. I think they both sound good, especially for the price.

rjj45
  • Freaquing Outstanding!!

:o

• I really would like a pair of these - what did they charge you for shipping @jr@mac - wondering if it would be cheaper to have them dropped shipped in the US and then mail up to Canada via USPS instead of UPS which is notorious for tacking on duty fees.

• $28

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • 713>252

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.