Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dayton Max-X motors are different on each size.

I have been looking to add a bit more bass to my car which lead me to the new max-x sub line. I noticed that the magnets are larger on the 12 vs 10, 180mm vs 160 diameter respectively. And the 15 has a 3rd magnet added to the stack. (Same magnet size as the 12) I dont think that I have ever seen this before.

The 18" daytons are a completely different design in the reference series and UM. But most companies share the motor between the 10 to 15 sizes as far as I know.

Is this normal and I just realized it?

Comments

• I've noticed that here and there and just figured each vendor/mfg has their own set of compromises to make when it comes down to the bottom-line $$$. So some share the motor like you said, but some do beef it up when it makes it to the 15"/18" sizes.

• I think a lot of the speaker manufactures have lots of motor options available so they build to spec with the cheapest parts available. In days past I'm guessing they had less developed options available and would use a "one size fits all" mentality.

• @OscarJr said:
    I've noticed that here and there and just figured each vendor/mfg has their own set of compromises to make when it comes down to the bottom-line $$$. So some share the motor like you said, but some do beef it up when it makes it to the 15"/18" sizes.

Good to see you back Oscar!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Most manufactures are going to go with larger motors on the larger drivers because the larger cones and suspensions add weight. If you add weight without changing motor force, you will end up with significantly change the T/S parameters and overall lower motor force ratio.