Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another special edition ScanSpeak driver...a $22 variant of the 10F

2»

Comments

• Meadurements under way... news at 5:00.
  • Here is frequency response of the Scanspeak 10F/8422-03, on axis, at 1/2 meter mic distance, on my 4' x 4' test baffle.  OmniMic 1/24th octave smoothing, 4.85 msec gate.  

The 2 dB dip at about 1200 Hz agrees with the manufacturer's data.
    Face
  • Here is the distortion measurement.  Same setup as before.

I didn't hear anything objectionable during the long sine sweeps.  Very clean sounding.
  • And just for S&G's...  here are the same two measurements for the Vifa TC9FD-18-08:

• ani, I would do a 3-way array. You could go passive or active. Single tweeter for smalish (6 mids) array or may be a group of 3 or more tweeters for a full size array. Crossover points would be more or less like on a conventional loudspeaker. 2k between tweeter and midwoofers. I'd probably push to 300hz between midwoofers and woofers,
    So for the small array, mmmtmmmww, do the outerids needs to be tapered off in the frequency or just treat the entire 6 mids as mtm?

What would be a full size array? 
  • I wouldn't taper midwoofres. The objective of the array is to pull virtual presentation vertically and make it life size or life-like. If you taper woofers, you will get the imaging back to what a conventional system does in a way of presentation. Tweeters are sometimes tapered. In the array where you use full line of woofers and only 3 or so tweeters where directivety is not matched, you want to taper a bit of the tweeter response so vertical matches the full line of woofers.
    Then I am saying "full size array" I mean array where line of woofers is matching in size, line of tweeters.
    You can't treat MMMTMMM like an MTM because MMM is not going to have the same frequency response as M. They interact with each other and usually, upper range will roll off. It can be modeled in Tolvan Edge.

• You could put the tweeter along side the woofers and maintain a constant woofer spacing.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • That's a lot of woofers!!!
  • edited January 2017
    Those are the 3" auras that Meniscus was selling by the case (50 units). 24 @ 12 per side. They were a dollar each.
    Mzisserson
  • Craigs measurements seem to confirm the Scan is essentially a round frame TC9. I'll pass as I have more than enough little drivers. 
    Face
    I have a signature.
  • Well, then that's available for 11$. 

Should we try the array with that then? We get 12 drivers for the price of 6, not a bad bargain....! 

Though, Craig, can you please run DATS on the scan and the TC9? The scans I have seem to show 87DB sensitivity vs 84 published. The Vifa published is 84. What does your drivers show?
  • Hey Craig, did you change the amp gain between the measurements for the Vifa and the scans? There seems to be 5db difference.
  • Yes, the amp levels were NOT held constant.
  • Time for a Mulligan.  ;)
  • Ani, I already have a line array in the works using 8x TC9FD per side and 4x Dayton PTmini planars per side.  They will sit on top of bass bins that are 2x dayton 8" subs per side.  The boxes and baffles are done.  I just have too many projects going right now to work on them.
  • That will be nice. Looking forward to hearing yhem
  • Well, I was lucky to have a baffle on hand to retest the Scans.
    This is at 10in.

#1,

#2,

#3,

#4,

Yes, bit of a difference between baffle and no baffle. :o
    Face
  • Lookin good Kenny!