Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

RIP Jim Fosgate

Another gone.

PWRRYD

Comments

• They should bury him in a big ass Punch45 casket.

PWRRYDSteve_Leeugly_wooferdynamo
  • Those old school Punch amps were fantastic! The original Punch subs were great for their time and price.

6thplanetNicholas_23

• One of the best little amps from back in the day. A 45 and an MTX Terminator box is all ya needed.

jr@macNicholas_23
  • I remember and the kicker gold letter subs. Man what a time to be alive !

6thplanet
  • I did a wall in a Geo Tracker with 4 12" Kickers run with 2 Punch 45's. I wish I had pictures of some of the installs I did back then.

Nicholas_23
  • IIRC, those things ran really hot when loaded.

• Yes they did! Almost too hot to touch but never had one shut down or fail.

• I switched from Rockford Fosgate Punch stuff to Soundstream amps and subs around 1990. Loved my Reference SS10 subs and the D100ii, and D200ii amps. Supposedly Nelson Pass designed that series of Soundstream amps (can anyone confirm that?) They weren't cheater amps like the RF, Orions, Phenix Golds, Hifonics of that era, but man did they sound clean and natural. Then I switched to JL Audio subs and Precision Power amps. Those PPI amps were the best (this was before class D was even a thing). Their ProMos series put out real power and sounded stellar. JL Audio drivers... kinda meh. I think they were built by Misco. Cheap stamp steel frames and poly cones with foam surrounds. But I digress...

• Always dug the Fosgate stuff, but loved the Soundstream junk. Love at first sight when the Reference 10 hit the CarStereoReview mag. I still have my SS12 (sitting in it's original box) and the Rubicon 604 is in my car. PPI and Orion were fantastic stuff too. Very cool times back then before everything became made in China.

• My first real car amp was an ADS PQ8 in the late 80s. That was a whopping 20 watts x 4. It was stolen along with with the dual 12 sub. Got a deal on some used Alpine amps, head unit & bazooka subs. They got stolen. Fast forward a few decades and I installed 2 Rockford Prime amps and a 12" Sundown sub. Sounded great - also stolen! At least they didn't rip the door handles off the car this time.

6thplanet
  • Consider moving?

• The first two times were when I was single and had an apartment in a sketchy neighborhood. This last time was my own dumb fault - I forgot to lock the car!

• Until that incident with a garden variety meth head last year; sometimes we would lock stuff up, sometimes not. Never had a problem.

I still have an 90's era Orion HCCA250 amp and pair of Orion xtr15.

6thplanet
  • I still have my Xtant 3150 with balanced input cards, and the Soundstream Exact10s. AND- they were stolen once. They were found and returned to me.

6thplanet
  • I still have some of my Audio Control stuff too, EQX, ESP-3

6thplanet
  • So, if we all got this stuff leftover from the ~90's, who thinks they will ever use all the drivers sitting in the closet???

PWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • Wow..... are they all just mounted like wall art?

• Yep. The less valuable ones.

• I remember the old 650, and heard one, but one channel was fried.
    In the heat of my carsound days , the punch amps shaped like a trapezoid were king. I only had a few amps over the years; Optimus shack 25x2, MTX Blue Thunder 752, a vintage original Pioneer amp with the Rem lead on a harness, a cool looking chipamp Sony from a garage sale, and my 3150c.

• What a shrine to everything I use to love!

• That's insane.

=)

• I only have a five channel Jensen as a memento from my car audio days. That amp was eye opening after I blew a four channel RF (my bad). To this day I would put that old KA5 up against anything SQ wise. Blew my mind. I bought it on sale at Sears for $99 as a stop-gap and it never left service after that. Not the last word in output, of course - only 50W per channel plus 150@4ohm on the Class D channel - but damn, made the old car sound killer.

I have a signature.
  • @hifiside said:
    Yep. The less valuable ones.

Holy crap! Where is this car audio shrine?

• Sioux Falls SD baby!!!

• @PWRRYD said:
    Sioux Falls SD baby!!!

This is my old place of employment that a great friend owns. I still make it by there every couple of weeks. This is what’s visible he take hoarding old car audio equipment to a whole different level.

dynamo
  • Almost makes me want to build an old school system in the Altima...

6thplanet
  • That's fucking sweet hifiside!
    Miss the old Pyle stuff, too. The Pounders and PRO series subs were pretty kick ass.