Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Nice little Amazon deal on wire

Decided to finally put my HT setup together in the basement listening area. So I will have two systems going. Just needed some basic wire for this and found this deal. I've used the wire before and was satisfied with it. Good stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093BJM1VB?smid=A2IHZFOHOQ0WG8&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

Comments

• That wire is CCA, not all copper; just in case you didn't realize it.
    I've used their OFC marine and OFC in wall types and like them.

• CCA is fine for static installs. I don't think I would ever use and re-use it, though.

I have a signature.
  • I figured for the price and as said, static install, it was a decent buy. I've used this stuff before and it's not been a problem. Tested resistance was more than acceptable over 50 ft run.

• It's fine for a static install, the general rule of thumb is to upsize one gauge to equal the resistance of copper, but let's face it, we all run larger gauge wire than necessary.

6thplanet
  • I avoid CCA for data runs, but that is mostly due to issues with reliable termination (long term).

But for audio the sheer amount of bulk copper is probably cost prohibitive to run through a house so I can understand.

• Aren't alot of voice coils wound with CCA wire? I'e assumed it's for weight reduction.

Billet
  • It could be for the heat sinking qualities too, right?

• I think all of the above. Let's face it if your voice coil is deforming enough to break the CCA you have bigger problems. This is a great scenario where the strength of a cheaper product make it out perform a more pure product.

• I assumed CCA was cheaper.

• There is definitely more to it than cost alone.

• It is used in quite a few high end drivers, so I imagine cost is not a consideration. Aluminum is significantly less conductive than copper - which for a given winding length will increase DCR however negligibly. Not a factor, not really. Thermal conductivity might be an issue, copper is king in this space as well. Aluminum dissipates heat pretty well due to the lighter mass, but the copper cladding may negate that. Copper is less "workable" than aluminum, however.

I think what we are left with is reduced moving mass and workability. Both of those are probably a benefit. I could see the workability of the aluminum wire to be a benefit when demanding tight tolerances such as precision voice coil windings.

Well, who really knows? We would need a transducer engineer to chime in here.

I have a signature.
  • Copper is less workable than aluminum?

• Yes, it is softer than copper.

I have a signature.
  • I asked Lars Risbo this question. Lars is the chief engineer for Purifi. He says that the CCA has a better ratio between mass density and conductivity compared to copper. This gives a better ratio between motor strength and winding mass.

dcibelColonel7Steve_LeeBillet
  • In tweeters, obviously the lower mass would be a benefit too.

• @isaeagle4031 said:
    I asked Lars Risbo this question. Lars is the chief engineer for Purifi. He says that the CCA has a better ratio between mass density and conductivity compared to copper. This gives a better ratio between motor strength and winding mass.

So it is an engineered compromise. Interesting.

tajanes
    I have a signature.