Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Pretty impressive imo..

edited January 2023 in Car Audio

Found this JL Audio factory tour online tonight. I had no idea a great deal of their stuff was still made in the States. They have a 160k sq ft facility in Florida where a lot of stuff is hand made. Love or hate JL (I admittedly always was a fanboy..) I think it is respectable to hand make so much stuff here today when the trend is so big to go to Eastern manufacturing at a fraction of the cost. I am less off-put by the higher price of their products knowing this.

6thplanetBillet

Comments

• I still don't know how that in wall booger works. Looks like some kind of tapped horn with a cone-less driver.

• There a built in the USA made in china company.

• edited January 2023

@hifiside said:
    There a built in the USA made in china company.

Definitely true that most of the stuff “made” there is assembled here with foreign parts, they aren’t winding their own coils or casting baskets here, but still more than many companies. Plus the video shows people hand laying glass and finishing enclosures in the factory so that’s cool. I also liked the in-house uv and salt spray testing of the marine stuff.

• edited January 2023

Double post

• When I was in high school, JL Audio was not available in Sioux Falls, so they were exotic AF. I have always loved their simple appearance. To this day, I cannot handle gaudy looking woofers nor can I handle the boring ass font so many manufacturers use.

Speaking of high school, I had 15" MTX Terminators and Coustic Power Logic amps (460 and 260), Coustic electronic crossover, Sharp head unit (there was a time when they made car audio, it was a pretty sweet unit), and MB Quart components I hacked in to the doors of my 1980 Pontiac Phoenix. Good times.

Anyways, whether they are made from imported parts or whatever they are still doing some of it stateside and that is a good thing.

dynamo6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    When I was in high school, JL Audio was not available in Sioux Falls, so they were exotic AF. I have always loved their simple appearance. To this day, I cannot handle gaudy looking woofers nor can I handle the boring ass font so many manufacturers use.

Speaking of high school, I had 15" MTX Terminators and Coustic Power Logic amps (460 and 260), Coustic electronic crossover, Sharp head unit (there was a time when they made car audio, it was a pretty sweet unit), and MB Quart components I hacked in to the doors of my 1980 Pontiac Phoenix. Good times.

Anyways, whether they are made from imported parts or whatever they are still doing some of it stateside and that is a good thing.

Was your Phoenix a hatch? I didn’t know what they looked like til I just looked it up, and see it looks like they had hatches and sedans. I’m sure Terminator 15s jammed regardless, but if it was a hatch I bet it was loud AF!

• It was a coupe.

I have a signature.