Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

SLS-830667 as a woofer in a 3 way?

edited January 2023 in DIY

Has anyone used this as a woofer in a 3 way?

I’m planning to cross over to a coaxial, probably 200-300Hz. Box volume is 20L; and it can be sealed or vented. But since this project involves enlarging a pre-existing woofer hole; it’s a one way street once I do that.

Wondering if others have used this woofer. What was your experience?

Comments

• I haven't but I did just recently get a pair with the intentions of building a stand mounted 3-way. It seems well suited to a crossover point up to 600+ hz, so it may be able to pair to a dome mid that I have on the shelf. Good luck with your plans!

• In my novice experience, the SLS line is a great all arounder. I particularly have experience with the 830946 and it does fantastic sub bass to midbass, if i remember ~400-500. I would think the 8” variant would be just as great, especially in the band you are intending.

• Plugging the numbers into WinISD.. 20liters seems rather small for it in a vented arrangement. Giving an F3 of 44-47hz and an upper bass hump 2-3db depending where you tune the port. Sealed yields an F3 52.5hz

Crossing over that low opens up other options.

GRS 8SW-4HE in 20 liters Sealed yields an F3 of 40hz. Vented, tuned to 25hz yields an F3 of 29hz with a hump under 1.5db. Heck in that arrangement the GRS is gaining SPL in the region the Peerless is dropping out.

I know F3 isn't everything, The Peerless could plain sound better (I don't know) and the GRS isn't exactly eye candy by comparison. Then you have 4 vs 8ohm

• The GRS is very flat out to over 1K and anchors a 3-way just fine. However, the Peerless does have a shorting ring so should theoretically have lower distortion. It also has higher advertised Xmax.

Still, a pair of the GRS wired in series solves the impedance concern and will offer greater output capability than the Peerless for just a few dollars more all-in.

It is good having options. I had to restrain myself from buying a couple of the Peerless.

Steve_LeeDrewsBrews
    I have a signature.
  • edited February 2023

We are talking about the 8SW-4HE not 8SW-4 right? HE has rated linear xmax of 10.8mm vs the peerless 8.41mm.

I remember you measured 8SW-4 extending past 1k, but I wasn't aware the HE would do that.

• I was talking about the plain Jane grs 8", not the HE. Sorry for the confusion!

I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

Just circling back on this- I acquired a pair and took some in box measurements- here is some data-

Sensitivity on the low side, on the upside seems suitable for a sealed box, and can handle a LR2 low pass at up to 400Hz.

BrannigansLawSteve_Lee
  • edited May 2023

Not dissimilar to when Klang & Ton tested it almost 20 years ago. That’s some kind of amazing consistency…

BrannigansLaw