Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

North Seas Build

I'm trying to find a build called North Seas.
I think it was done by Ben but not sure.
It uses the North Creek D2506-S tweeters with a Seas woofer.

Comments

• Nope, but I helped. Brian Powers did it. North D25 and a Seas 8" buyout poly woofer.

• Any other builds with that tweeter?

• I used them with an Usher 8836A in 2017.

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • Whoa! Look how shiny my Gormachos look =)

• I'm curious at to what solid woods were used (they both look great) and how they have held up?

I've always used baltic birch ply, but staining and round overs showing the plys...limited. I'd like to give solid wood (vs veneers) a go, so suggestions would be appreciated. Thx

• Mine were strips of walnut glued to 1/2" mdf. That proved to be an issue with our dry winters here in IA. The walnut shrunk up and split. The glue joints held up fine, but the wood cracked along the growth rings. The SNAP was really loud when one would let loose! I knew going in that might be an issue. So they look like crap now, but they still sound great. I'm sticking with veneer from here on out.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Whoa! Look how shiny my Gormachos look =)

See - you did it right! You used walnut veneer. Are those baffles Poplar? I've noticed it doesn't expand or contract nearly as much as walnut.

• Yes, simple paper backed walnut veneer adhered with stinky contact cement on the boxes. The baffles are solid 1" thick African mahogany. They are not glued to the boxes. I used hanger bolts with fender washers and nuts on the inside. The cleats they are bolted through have horizontal slots so the baffles and expand and contract without splitting. Honestly though, from the coldest and driest day to the warmest and most humid day they probably only change width by a 1/32nd.

• Thx for the inputs, and they really do look nice.

Floating (non-glued) baffle (possibly with thin speaker rubber gasket?) great approach, and maybe I can just skip the Scanspeak Aperiodic Vents in my next 'sealed box' 3-way. jkidding. With my woodworking 'skills' many of my boxes are aperiodicly vented...

6thplanet