Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Worst measured driver I've had

edited March 2023 in DIY

I grabbed a pr of MCM 10" woofers, 55-2951. Specs on the data sheet looked really good and a viable option for Indy this year. Cheap too at $50 shipped for a pr. Well, I will give them credit that at least the pr measured very well to each other. Qts came in 1.06 vs advertised .32, Fs was 65 vs 38, all numbers were way, way, way off. Ugh, back they go!

I didn't expect perfect match, but geez at least CLOSE! Completely unusable.

rjj45Steve_Lee

Comments

• edited March 2023

Dunno if the GRS 10PT-8 is any more interesting to you. At least they have a copper cap and seem to be reasonably faithful to the specs. 50% more expensive, but still pretty dang cheap.

https://ampslab-spk.com/2022/05/13/grs10pt8_ts/

I've measured the response of the GRS 8" version and was surprisingly similar to the factory graph. That was before I got my DATS and have yet to get em back out to measure T/S. Though they sounded rather dry. I ended up going with the Dayton PA200-8 instead. Liked those much better but over double $. Thinking of bringing those to inDIYana, though the tweeter doesn't fit the challenge.

• I see the published fs as 52, so not as far off there but qts even farther off at .29. On paper and physically that is a really nice driver, especially for $20, too bad it didn’t work out when measured.

• I originally posted the wrong part number in 2961. Should have posted 2951.

• I bought several of the MCM pro audio drivers during my quest to build affordable rehearsal monitors for the old band - they all measured very poorly. Such a hit or miss brand.

I have a signature.