Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

CanTiLena build

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the SS 22W/8857T woofers to build a pair of Paul K's CanTiLenas. I've been wanting to build them for years. I've had the mids and ribbons on the shelf for quite a while now, just waiting for me to pull the trigger. But I always balked at the cost of those woofers. Since I'm not getting any younger, the kids are all out on their own, and I just sold a guitar (a Mexican Tele) for a surprisingly nice profit, it's finally time! Lots of decisions to make on the aesthetics, but I'm going to take my time and hopefully not hurt my back once the cabinets are glued up.

hifisidee6zionSteve_LeeColonel7rjj45silverD6thplanet

Comments

• Awesome! I too have the tweeter and mids and haven't pulled the trigger on the woofers. Funny thing is I buy so many other drivers that are on sale. I should just save up and buy these. I'm excited to see how you approach building these and maybe it'll help me make the leap.

• I think Rick Craig did an excellent job designing the CanTiLenas.

6thplanet
  • Yes he did, and it's really the only publicly available xover for the MDM55 that had his hand in it. Rick used that driver a lot, and knew very well where it liked to shine. The other thing is that the CanTiLenas were initially built back in 2008. It seems to be a rarity in terms of driver longevity used in a design, as many that old have NLA drivers now. It's amazing that it is still buildable being from 3 different manufacturers.

Steve_Leerjj45
  • Didn't the CanTiLena use the NeoCD1.0 ribbon tweeters? Are they still available?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Didn't the CanTiLena use the NeoCD1.0 ribbon tweeters? Are they still available?

It looks like Madisound still has them. PE and Meniscus are out.

• Yes, Mad has them, and the GRS should be dropins.

• Madisound's stock won't last forever. It's sad to see solid, popular drivers become NLA. The only Fountek FR/mid I see on their site is the FE85.

• Although the GRS is ok, it is definitely no Viawave lol.

rjj45WolfSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.