Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

What is the best midrange you have heard under $225?

13»

Comments

• edited March 2023

@Steve_Lee said:

I wonder how those 6" FST sweeps would look on a flat baffle in-room?

I got the box already built... keep an eye out in your email...

• Yay! You are ahead of me as usual [by a long shot].

Standing-bye . . .

Do you have any directivity graphs concerning frequency response?

• edited March 2023

I do. It's actually even more beautiful than the one I emailed you, because I discovered a resonance, that I managed to clean up after improving the spherical cabinet. So that Gen 1 "marlan" head unit or Gen 2 solid aluminium head unit of the B&W 800 series?

Well that's not marketting fluff. That was a genuine engineering breakthrough 25 years ago IMHO.

Steve_Lee
  • edited March 2023

Is the B&W driver available to the public?
    All the purifi's look great, but I believe it is over twice the driver price ceiling listed. If you are collecting midranges, the bms 5s117 and a few of the PHL offerings also look interesting.

• New Radian LM10N is absolutely the best existing mid range money can buy. 94 dB efficiency , very light moving mass makes sound that only electrostatic drivers can meet , open back great for OB. New measurements available from Mark of Meniscus. Retail price- $329.

e6zion
  • PHL mids sound great, if you can get them.

• edited March 2023

High sensitivity + low distortion sounds great.
    B&W spare parts are available state side. This 6” midrange costs $190 IIRC.

Steve_Lee
  • Monacor drivers look interesting to me as well but we can't have them here as there is no distribution channel, yet.

https://www.monacor.com/products/components/speaker-technology/

• @tktran said:
    High sensitivity + low distortion sounds great.
    B&W spare parts are available state side. This 6” midrange costs $190 IIRC.

This is why I haven't built any more monitors - I am so enamored with the Eminence CX10's and Selenium D202Ti' Coaxial speakers I built last year that I am unmotivated to change them out.
    My brother was here a few days ago and noted that they sound better than any headphones he had listened too and we stayed up 1/2 the night just listening to different music while he kept saying "I've never heard that in this song before".

Nearfield, btw - Using DSP XO's and powered subwoofer . . .

I Love big speakers . . .

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-502--eminence-beta-10cx-spec-sheet.pdf

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-455-d202ti-spec-sheet.pdf

6thplanetrjj45
  • edited March 2023

@jerzy53 said:
    New Radian LM10N is absolutely the best existing mid range money can buy. 94 dB efficiency , very light moving mass makes sound that only electrostatic drivers can meet , open back great for OB. New measurements available from Mark of Meniscus. Retail price- $329.

This driver, just like the GRS PT5020 and the B&G Neo10, are limited by the large size of the planar driver. So, in some ways, a small cone driver like the ScanSpeak 10F, is better and probably has lower distortion. For OB this looks like a very nice driver if its frequency coverage fits your design needs. I'd like to see a head-to-head comparison of the much less expensive GRS PT5020 and this Radian offering, as these drivers are very similar AFAIK.

Steve_Lee
  • Note, the Radian is over the price limit and doesn't cross as low as needed per the original question of the thread. (Under $225 and be able to xo around 350Hz.)

• It's definitely over the cost, but it is able to cross at 350hz. For what it's worth, it is a very good sounding driver

• The Echelons that dlneubec built used the BG version, and they sounded spectacular.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    ...but it is able to cross at 350hz.

Yep, I see I was wrong. Thanks for the correction.

• edited March 2023

I like all contributions, even if the price is over, or way over. It's good to know what's out there.

Like that ATC SM75-150S (NLA)- it sure measured like a champ under John Krutke or the late Jeff Bagby, though I think only the latter got a chance to design a system with it. When this driver came out I was still in college, so beer money was more important than any 3" super dome.

I wonder if anyone knows the history behind the Volt VM752? I know that Open Source Monkey Box over at DIYA used it, but have there any direct comparisons to the ATC?

• edited March 2023

Tktran, I haven't heard them side by side, but I recall reading the Volt was 95% as good or something on DIYAudio. I have heard the Volts in person at Solen in a 4-way. They are truly massive, and while you gain wider dispersion (and nice crossover points), you aren't able to mount most tweeters much closer than a traditional 5 or 6in midrange.

On another note, this one looks awfully promising at $90 USD. It's new and I couldn't find any feedback online.
    https://www.sbaudience.com/index.php/products/woofers/rosso-6mw150d/

tktran
  • edited March 2023

Scott Hinson used the SB Audience Rosso 6" in one of his designs. He said it had very low distortion and otherwise thought pretty highly of it.

Edit: Oops it was the Nero-6MRN150D, which might be the same or related but with a neo motor. He designed a Large OB with it:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/open-baffle-speaker-kits/sb-audience-ob3-open-baffle-3-way-with-15-woofer/