Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

VituixCAD and MiniDSP Settings > Passive XO Design Discussion . . .

I've been trying to find our discussion concerning being able to take MiniDSP settings and turn them into actual passive XO designs but cannot find the thread here - dcibel was at the core of it.

I had responded with the attached file [now outdated] and wish resurrect this discussion as it will lead me to further builds/experimentation and drag you guys into it.

Comments

• Most of the discussions I've seen are the other way around, creating an active from a passive crossover. It certainly can be done the other way around, but with restrictions. For example, you can't have common gain in a passive. Look at your PEQs: if any have gain you're out of luck.

• Totally understood, ED - which is why I stated that it ^ was outdated. (Sharp eye/mind on your part to have picked-up on the "boost" in EQ BTW - good job!) ;)

Now I have learned to pull down all the peaks with EQ to flatten the FR and then boost gain with the amps.
    I'm interested in turning this current set-up into a passive XO since it sounds so good.

1. Enter DSP settings into VituixCAD. Avoid using delay in the DSP, it will be hard to reproduce passively.
    2. Save filter transfer function as overlay.
    3. Design passive crossover, try to match overlay response as closely as possible.

This is probably the discussion you were looking for:
    https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/1924/fr-is-one-thing-but-phase-alignment-is-where-the-imaging-lives#latest

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Thanks for chiming-in, dcibel - got this thread bookmarked now.

More to come . . .

:)

• At the rate the technology and software is progressing concerning speaker XO design - it is a fabulous time to be in this hobby/industry!

I LOVE IT!

=)