Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Fosi BT20A Pro

Picked one up , looks like you can swap out the chips . Orig comes with the NE5532 Op-Amps good for 40V (read they get hot with this power supply) . Are there any other chips that would be better than these ? Anything that could handle anything higher ? Im familiar with tube rolling , just not too familiar with these little eight legged jobbies. Looks there are two in this amp.

Answers

• While the NE5532 will take higher supply voltages (maximum =/-22V) than many op-amps they have plenty of voltage swing with the more standard +/-18V and can drive 600 ohm loads. Peak-to-Peak output voltage swing is 26 V into 600 ohm with +/-15V which is an unusual spec for an op-amp. They were highly regarded when they came out in 1979 and still are. They use a pretty standard dual op-amp package pinout so there may be a drop in replacement. I used to build a lot of op-amp stuff and used the dual channel 5532 and single channel 5534 often.

https://ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ne5532.pdf

• All I know is there are a ton of counterfeit opamps out there, buyer beware if you want to start rolling. One of my older PC sound cards had upgradeable opamp and of course I got burned buying an "upgrade" off of ebay.

FWIW I don't think you will gain a whole lot trying to upgrade from the 5532.

I have a signature.
  • You know exactly what you are doing, right? Opamp rolling is fraught with issues. Any given circuit is not good for all op amps and it may be very suboptimal for some while being great for others. I would not bother. The 5532 is a very good op amp when used correctly in the circuit. Just ask D. Self. He has written books about them in audio applications.

Also, the 5532 has a lot of internal dissipation so it does get warm under normal circumstances, and especially so at 40V.

BrannigansLaw
  • In addition to what others have stated, if you go op amp rolling, the 5532 is a bipolar input device, so only swap with another bipolar input device and not a fet input one.

charlielaub