Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Inverted Chamfer Bit?

I have a situation where I need to add a chamfer on the backside of an installed 3/4" baffle. I believe this was discussed before, but my searches didn't turn anything up. I did actually find one inverted chamfer bit, but it was $86 and shipped from AU. Any ideas or hints to accomplish this?

Comments

• You are looking for an undercut chamfer bit. I've searched before and they are quite hard to actually find.

Here is one. The Google search originally showed the price in British Pounds so I'm not sure where it ships from. Once I actually went to the page it recognized my location and showed USD prices.

https://www.rutlands.com/sp+router-bits-tct-router-bits-tct-router-bits-undercut-chamfer-with-bearing-router-bit-undercut-chamfer-rutlands®+m_r5815

This is "close" to what you are looking for. An undercut roundover rather than chamfer. Ships from Texas. Asking price is a little high, but the seller does accept "make offer".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275409451568

• Email or PM Javad, maybe he has one on hand. That is where I got mine.

• What Wolf said

• A rasp will likely get the job done well and for about $10 plus some effort.

• The super cheapo bits just use a polished section of shaft instead of a ball bearing. So in a pinch I've used a dovetail type bit and just used the shaft as the bearing surface. Safety may be of concern due to remaining shaft length in the collet.

Steve_Lee
  • I also bought one from Javad - one of the better tool purchases I have made WRT this damn hobby. For guys like me who lack advanced cabinet build skills it allows me to machine baffles after glue-up. I always oversize the baffles and then edge trim them to size. Only way I can get reasonably square lol.

Anyways, I'll shoot him a message later today and see if he is willing to have another batch produced. He may want to get a feel for how many people are interested - but for all I know they might be in constant production due to his Facebook page having 70,000+ members.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks everyone. JR - I'm definitely in for one.

• Does it fit a a 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch collet?

• Half inch for sure as this bit is mean looking.

• Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • I sent a feeler to Javad, I'll see what he says. It is a useful tool that should be commonly available.

I have a signature.
  • I also have one, if someone wants to borrow it for a project, PM me. You cover shipping and obviously, you damage, you bought it.

• Javad has another batch coming and will share details with me on how to buy.

PWRRYDEd_PerkinsColonel7Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • I might be in for one too.

• It is a mean looking bit! It is also pretty large diameter. Safety first...Please make sure the rotation has stopped before removal from workpiece, as well as make sure it will not cut through sidewalls of intended project.

• edited April 2023

The Festool ones on eBay are 3/4" undercut roundovers rather than chamfers (with 1/2" shank). Since the listings I saw included the "make offer" option I decided to offer $25 plus $5 s&h just to see if they'd accept. (List price was $65.) I don't really need this. Well, the seller accepted so I'll have a nice new router bit in a week or so. LOL.

6thplanet
  • I'd like a cove-under too, but I've never seen one.
    A lot of these opposite side bits are meant for solid composite materials for counter tops. Freud has a line of them too. Yes, they are over $50 normally, and approach a Benjamin.

• If you are interested in one of these, drop a comment so I can get a count for Javad.

I have a signature.
  • Interested.

• I'm interested, depending on price...

• Interested

• edited April 2023

Hey everyone, JR contacted me last week about this so I wanted to give an update, heads up I have a batch of these coming and they’re probably a month or two out, I was able to keep the cost the same thankfully so they’ll come in around $80-85 shipped in the US, I’ll post here when I have them, cheers.

Javad

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • Thanks Javad!

JavadS
  • Hey guys, just got 20 in and they’re going fast, price is $85 shipped, shoot me a PM or $85 friends and family to jshadzi@gmail.com and be sure to include your shipping address, Thanks!

Javad

hifisidejr@mac
  • That's great, Javad!

JavadS
    I have a signature.
  • Payment sent.

JavadS
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    Payment sent.

Got it, shipping today, thanks Ed =)