Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Wood veneers over particle board?

So, due to reasons, particle board seems to be gaining a small foothold in the hobby.

Has there been much experience yet with using veneers over the stuff?

I'm mostly interested in paper backed veneers. Is there any issue with the texture telegraphing through? Would it be necessary to fill beforehand?

Comments

• User djg at PETT does this all the time. He just posted this today...

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1496530-pe-customer-service

Steve_Lee
  • That looks like MDF. I mean the less dense stuff like the menards shelving boards. It has a bit of a texture to it. Especially the end grain. I imagine the end grain should be filled, just wondered if I'd need to do something to the whole box before veneering.

• edited May 2023

I have used paper backed veneer over particle board with no issues. This is with the "cheap" Bandit veneer they sell at Menards. Just fill the end grain and seams with standard wood putty and sand smooth. Then give the overall boxes a light sanding with 150 grit. I use the stinky contact cement so there is a little forgiveness there.

• edited May 2023

@DrewsBrews said:
    That looks like MDF.

Djg always used particle board. I have almost always used MDF so I forgot, both of my speakers at InDIYana were made of Menards particular board. Gloss white. The other is raw ash burl veneer from veneersupplies.com. The black baffle is the only thing on either that is MDF since I was routing the waveguide.

hifiside
  • I used some vinyl spackle that I was using on some walls in my house that was sitting on my workbench for most of the pinhole dips and small chipouts. I used some glazing putty for larger chips on the white ones since I was going gloss.

• Order Wilson Art H20 contact cement from Home Depot. Stuff is awesome for a water based product.

Steve_Lee
  • ProAc did veneers over particle board for years. They used raw veneers. Paperback veneer is even easier. The only thing I'd recommend is to use rigid glues like Unibond 1 or 800

Steve_Lee