Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

First Project

Greetings. Many of you don't know me but I have been hanging out here for a few years. I have been coming to the Meniscus gatherings whenever time permits. I have wanted to try my hand at designing something, but lack many tools/skills - many of them being woodworking related. Well, I ended up getting these cabinets at Meniscus the other day (good to see you, Ben). Special thanks to Mark & Meniscus for the great deal!

So, now I guess I need to get started planning and working on a design for these cabinets. It will likely take me a long time to finish these as I'm effectively a complete noob. These cabinets are about 12 1/4" H x 8.5" W x 12 3/8" D (internal 10.75" H x 7" W x 10.5" D). This results in about 12.95 liters not including ports/bracing/etc. I'm guessing about 12 liters net. I've started looking at woofers that might work in this cabinet. I'm thinking for a first project I'd like to keep it fairly budget friendly but still with good performance. The following drivers look like viable candidates:

• SB15MFC30 (both 4 & 8 ohm)
  • SB15NBAC30 (both 4 & 8 ohm)
  • SB15CAC30-4
  • SB15NRX2C30-8
  • Seas U16RCY/P (this one is starting to get a little pricy but probably doable)
  • Seas L16RNX3 (this one looks promising but is probably out of my budget range)
  • Scan-Speak 15W/4531G00 (this was the woofer originally intended for these cabinets, but is also probably out of my budget)

Right now, I've been mostly leaning towards the SB15MFC or Seas U16 as they seem to have smooth responses and might be easier to work with.

I haven't really thought about tweeters yet. Not a requirement, but I was thinking about trying for LR2 crossover, so had been thinking about the Seas DXT tweeter to help with the z-axis alignment.

Any preferences, opinions, additional driver recommendations, or other advice/guidance is welcome.

Thanks,
Matthew George

Comments

• edited May 2023

If you are going LR2, the U16 will likely be easier. However, be advised the U series are not known for their bass range. The midbass is good and the mids are great.
    If you are considering the DXT, you should also consider the Titan...
    Oh, and it was good to see you too!

• If you get the SB15CAC-08.. perfect midwoofer for your 12 liter box.

• If you decide on the U16 and DXT: Check out Goran's Prestigious Two that uses those drivers in a 14 liter cab. He uses LR2 slopes too. https://audioexcite.com/?page_id=2386

• The poly SB is not easy to work with - the broad breakup takes a little extra work and does not respond well to shallower slopes. Great driver otherwise.

I have a signature.
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    If you decide on the U16 and DXT: Check out Goran's Prestigious Two that uses those drivers in a 14 liter cab. He uses LR2 slopes too. https://audioexcite.com/?page_id=2386

I was thinking I saw that somewhere...

• edited May 2023

Troels also did a U16 project, but with the Seas 29TFF/W tweeter. It's an older project so the crossover component values are listed. He used a smaller cabinet (8.5 liters net). It's interesting that he used a U16 LCR notch in the 700 Hz region. And of course he used his standard "boutique" caps. :)

troelsgravesen.dk/SEAS-CURV.htm

• Matthew, if you need any help I'm local. Let me know.

• Keep in mind that Meniscus still has 20% off until the end of May for those on your list that are still in stock.

1) I wouldn't be too worried about which drivers are the easiest to work with, you have a lot of people here who are willing to help and have also worked with most/all of those drivers.
    2) The SB15CAC30 IS better than the SB15NBAC30 but is also quite a bit more expensive. I just picked up a pair of the SB15NBAC30-8's two weeks ago using the 20% off at Meniscus which puts them at about $64ea. which is pretty sweet. I burned them both in thoroughly and measured and ran them through WinISD and came up with a box of 11.3L. They can definitely handle a bigger box but I had certain design goals in mind, but this does happen to be about the size of your cabinet.

VCORPUZ23
  • To me, the SB15NBAC sounds very similar to SB15CAC. I chose the SB15NBAC 4 ohm version and created my JBS-5 in memory of Jeff Bagby. I brought these to Indiana 2021. I used PE .23 cubic ft with Dayton 6.5" aluminum cone PR.

hifiside
  • Tweeter I used is the SB26STAC.

• Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Really appreciate the advice. In trying to keep an affordable budget for my first attempt, I think it's wise to try and take advantage of Meniscus' sale. I'm leaning towards the SB15NBAC30-8. What do you think about pairing it with the SB29SDAC-C0004?

Also, Ken, thanks for the offer to help! As I get into this, there's a good chance I'll take you up on that.

kenrhodes
  • I would take the 26STAC over the 29RDAC or 29SDAC. It sounds better to me, and to a lot of other builders to the point of it being called a no Brainerd. The other 2 tend to need some help and HD rises harshly as frequencies go lower.

Mitchell_Cote
  • Thanks. I mentioned it primarily because Meniscus has it in stock. The 26STAC is out of stock, but I can always wait for the tweeters. Any opinions of the SB26ADC-C0004 or the Scan-Speak Discovery D2604/8330?

• Both of those are nice too, I'd likely go the ADC or spring for the CDC of those.

• Between the STAC and the ADC, which would you rather have?

• If I had to choose...
    I'd probably take the STAC.