Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (9)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adding Series Resistance to Woofers . . .

edited June 2023 in DIY

I know it is generally regarded as poor practice to do so but I notice SOME PEOPLE [around here] adding 1/2 an Ohm or more in series to their woofers.

After playing around with this additional resistance (1.0 Ohms) applied to woofers in WinISD I noticed:

1. Happy boost/peak in the drivers FR on the low-end (right where the "slap/punch" frequencies reside
  2. Slight reduction in bandwidth at each end of its FR range
  3. Smoother/slightly steeper roll-off on the high end
  4. Reduction in GD for BR alignments (Ported/Vented)
  5. Increased GD for sealed/closed-box alignments
  6. Reduction in Qtc (sealed/closed box - tighter/cleaner bass)
  7. Flatter over-all FR between potential XO points
  8. Reduction in Port Velocity (for BR/Ported alignments)
  9. Increase in cone excursion for the same power (W) applied
  10. Significant reduction in F3
  11. Increased Port Gain for BR/Ported alignments

Then, (inside my skull) these things became rather useful --> https://meniscusaudio.com/product/twisted-zisters-1-0-ohm-35-watt-power-resistor/

(Parallel them to gain power handling for fun and profit)

Questions: ??

What negative effects might the addition of series resistance have aside from reducing electrical efficiency, heating up a resistor, kids starting a fire while the parents are out of town due to SPL demands of the amp, dropping the voltage and all the usual/obvious nasties.

How about distortion? is it increased or unnoticeable?

Any other thoughts for or against?

Comments

• edited June 2023

I add series resistance in modeling to approximate inductors. Everyone should do the same. I don't actually add a resistor, but have been tempted before. I have used air core coils with high DCR in the past, to hit certain modeling goals.

For the type of resistor you linked, they need a proper heatsink to dissipate their rated power.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.