Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Next project - help me decide.

So, my next project is intended to serve as an alternative for my Nemo build (Motus 6" and Viawave SRT) so will need to be bookshelf sized since I use them at my PC.

The tweeter will be the same as the current speaker - but in a waveguide.

First combo I am considering is the 8 ohm Eclipse 6.5". I have a quad of the woofers so a MTM is a possibility but would be pretty large. These are a high Q woofer - so it would definitely be sealed. I like sealed bass, though, and in 0.5 cubic feet these will do 45Hz with a 2.5db ripple at 75Hz. In my opinion that is an ideal bass response.

I have a quad of the SB 5" poly woofers. These would be able to be used in a smaller cabinet, and an MTM is again another choice but again, would be pretty large for this application. In 0.375 cubic feet ported these will do 45Hz with a 1db ripple at 71Hz. Very similar to the sealed Eclipse.

I also have the Dayton Signature 5" and 7". The 5" in 0.375 cubic feet will do 51Hz with a 1db ripple around 85Hz. Not bad. The 7" will do 48Hz in 0.5 vented with 0.5db ripple.

Other woofer choices include Dynavox 5" and 7", and those old school Tang Band 7" poly cone with the funky surround. The Dynavox are great sounding woofers with solid bass, but the Tang Band is really more of a large mid. Very sensitive but I believe a sub would be necessary so I would need to build one, probably the little dual 10" using those Scan Speak built XXLS drivers I discussed in another thread. That would be a very dynamic system but added complexity in integration etc.

Maybe I'll pony up for new woofers but I have so many nice ones already.

I am under no delusion that any of my woofer choices are on the same level as the Motus, so like I said these will be alternatives. I just want to rotate some speakers in once in awhile.

I listed the options in order of how I am considering them but I really want opinions on them.

So - what do you all think?

I have a signature.

Comments

• I should add that Xmax is not a concern in any way since A: these are nearfield so I do not need to twist the volume knob and B: I generally listen at SP levels peaking around 80-82db. So do not consider Xmax when helping me decide.

Steve_Leekenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • Those SB MFC are pretty terrific IMO

jr@macSteve_Lee
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I'm considering the SB17MFC I have for my Indy theme.

• I like the idea of the Eclipse 6 1/5, like a farewell piece.

BilletPWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • The more I think about it, the more the Eclipse makes sense - for a few reasons. I'll get started in them next week. Wife is in Florida all that week so I need something to keep me out of trouble.

BilletPWRRYDSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Those Eclipse are great drivers!

Steve_Lee
  • edited July 2023

Do the Eclipse. I know those were a mistake run with the high Qts, but I like how they model in a sealed cab and with a pair you get the sensitivity back up. Always wanted to try a quad to do exactly what you're considering.

• Talks cheap Dan...

Steve_Lee
  • @kenrhodes said:
    Talks cheap Dan...

That's it. I'm gonna build ALL the speakers.

jr@mackenrhodesWolfPWRRYDSteve_Lee6thplanetS7910
  • This forum might be the only place where you talk shit then text the person that you talked shit about them.

DanPSteve_LeePWRRYDWolf6thplanet
  • Steve_LeejhollanderSilver1omoS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Just to be clear, are these the oopsie "high Q" run of the Eclipse drivers, W6520R-6, or the 8 ohm version of the W6520?

• The oopsie

I have a signature.
  • I have a pair of those I won as a door prize in Iowa a couple years ago. Should be great for what you're doing with a sub to shore up the bottom octave.

• I understand the concepts of an MTM but it seems like most people prefer a TM over an MTM if the extra output isn't needed.
    I have a hard time thinking JR needs a set of MTM 6 1/2's at his desk. But, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Steve_Lee
  • edited July 2023

@kenrhodes said:
    This forum might be the only place where you talk shit then text the person that you talked shit about them.

I think I really could do that. I have Ken, JR, Dan, Nick, Chuck, Kerry, Craig's numbers...

kenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • Yeah, definitely do not need a large MTM at my desk.

I am going with the high Q oops drivers. Turns out I do not have a quad of them, I actually have a quad of 8 ohm Eclipse that measure with a Q of around 0.48, model number is W6520R-6. DCR is same as the 8 ohm, but the model number indicates they are 6 ohm. I'm only a little confused but I'll do some modeling on them and see if they will work in my ~0.5-0.6 cubic foot constraint.

Anyways - ya'll can talk shit about me and then text me, I'm easy.

kenrhodesrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • TMM 2.5 way, gets the tweeter near ear height.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    TMM 2.5 way, gets the tweeter near ear height.

I might do that with the quad of those oddball ones. I guess I can put another tower in the upstairs living room. Taiga currently lives there.

For this design it will be the 8 ohm "oops" drivers and the Viawave in waveguide. I have a name picked out already. I'll start a new thread when I physically start.

I have a signature.
  • So the oddball "6" series I have model pretty well sealed. Might explore the TMM option in the future. 53Hz F3 with less than a 1db ripple sealed is pretty nice if you ask me. Modeled with 0.5ohm series resistance.

A pair in 1.25 cubic feet is would be outstanding.

Wanna get really fun, a single in 1.25 feet vented tuned to 30Hz will dig to the upper 20's. Maybe a candidate for a TL if size is not a concern for a single 6.5" driver.

Anyways, still going with the "8" model. The quad of the "6" I will reserve for another day. Maybe a sealed TMM tower with a TL tweeter. We'll see.

ugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • So if you went isobaric in less than 1 cubic foot, you can have a F3 in the upper 20;s......that would be outstanding.

• 40 grams of added mass seems kinda high for that sized driver.

• JR, I double checked the values you posted above. Those are about spot on for the pair I have, here's what one looks like in .5cf vented just for shits and grins:

That's going to be one heckuva speaker regardless.