Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Potentially Stupid Question Regarding Driver Time Alignment . . .

When applying delay to drivers I notice many people adjusting the delay on all three drivers in a 3 way configuration.
In my mind, this is like a cat chasing its tail because there is no basis for time alignment - ie// no single driver is the base reference for aligning the other remaining two drivers.
I have been leaving the woofers/subs as-is and set to zero delay because the room effects their response and we can't do much about that fact then, adjust the mids and tweet delays to get the most coherent sound.
Am I missing something?

Comments

• @Steve_Lee said:
    When applying delay to drivers I notice many people adjusting the delay on all three drivers in a 3 way configuration.

Who’s doing this?

Driver furthest away from you can be zero, drivers closer can be delayed if needed.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I don't recall specifically WHO exactly is doing it but from several years of reading on-line I got the impression that it was being done - pointless for me to go scour the WWW in search of these persons/threads but the focus is upon the practice of applying delay correctly.

The woofer/sub is usually the furthest from the listener and its frequencies move the slowest, so . . .
    Here we are.

• Ditto, if "they" are doing that, why? It's as decibel stated.

• Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Lots of bad advice and incorrect information out there, especially so in audio.

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.