Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

@ RJJ - Cordless Palm Router . . .

RJJ - you had posted a while back about a cordless laminate/palm router and that you were impressed with it - which one do you have?

I am looking at this one for it's features specifically for making router templates in 3/32" Masonite/hardboard as guides:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNFBL5PR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A114DO0SXVYAAT&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032OQHM6/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3LFBVPYFBGR8K&psc=1

Comes with a dust collection port (1-7/8" hose) and fine adjustment of depth without dropping the motor into the work while running/under load.

Comments

• @Steve_Lee - I don't know the answer to your question above, but one thing I would emphasize is that the router you link to is the TOOL ONLY. You will need the Ryobi battery. If you don't already have cordless tools, then that may be fine, but one thing I have discovered is that once you start adding a few cordless tools to the shop, you get a little locked-into the brand since the batteries can be a big share of the cost.

However, there are adapters out there even if you do have another brands battery. The only cordless tool that I own that is not DeWalt is a Ryobi and I bought a DeWalt-to-Ryobi batter adapter either off eBay or Amazon.

Steve_Lee
  • The Ryobi’s you shared are great little routers, I have 3 of them excellent for small trimming and shaping.

Steve_Lee
  • edited September 2023

a4e - I have been heavily invested in Ryobi tools and batteries for a very long time but thanks for the warning as others may benefit from it.

The biggest thing I like about this little router is the SMALL circular base accessory, dust collection and the micro-adjustment system that allows it to be used like a plunge router.

Waste of material is kept to a minimum and the tool is light for my explicit purpose.

Hifi - thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, guys.

• Remember that Ridgid has a great warranty program, even for the batteries.

Steve_Lee
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    The biggest thing I like about this little router is the SMALL circular base accessory,

Yeah, that IS nice. I have the DeWalt cordless router and it does NOT have a SMALL base. Given that I have a DeWalt to Ryobi adapter I may put this in my Amazon cart as Saved-for-Later and think about it.

Steve_Lee
  • edited September 2023

I got this 1/4 inch cordless Dewalt about 2 years ago. Very happy with it, and use it much more than my Bosch 1617 corded router.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSRTDML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited September 2023

The Ryobi is a nice little router, but I've found that the adjustable clear plastic sleeve has become a little loose over time. But it beats having 240v cord everywhere and it can be used anywhere. Mine was A$100 from Bunnings.

Geoff

• I have the Ryobi caulk gun, RO sander, and brad nailer that I power with my yellow batteries. I am going to try the hot glue gun as well, although the Gorilla brand I currently use is pretty nice.

I'll check out the Ryobi router although it looks like a basic trim router to me.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

I'll check out the Ryobi router although it looks like a basic trim router to me.

I've used it with the Jasper Circle Jig, worked OK but the plastic sleeve slipped a bit so the cut was a little uneven in depth

Geoff

• What is this "Plastic Sleeve" exactly, Geoff?

(I just ordered the router and now I am having second thoughts due to your comment).

• edited September 2023

It's the plastic clip on the outside which you lock into place once you've selected the cut depth. Apologies for the size of the picture, I took it from the Bunnings catalogue.

It could also be that I just put pressure on it without realising it, of course.

Geoff

• Yours (pic) is a different model than the one I purchased in the OP.
    (The Depth adjuster is in a different location and the speed control dial as well . . .)

• edited September 2023

Sorry Steve, my mistake: I didn't look closely enough at the photo; that's not the one I own. I'll dive into the garage and find it

I've deleted the photo as it takes up too much space.

Geoff

• No biggie - I'm just trying to understand the shortcomings of the unit before I can't return it.

• I just checked, Bunnings doesn't sell my model any more, but the clip mechanism looks similar and might have the same issue. However, I've used it many times and I'm just careful to let the tool do the work.

Geoff

• Ahhhh - that makes sense, now.

Thanks for checking and chiming-in.