Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Concept to Designs to Build: The Vegatrons

edited February 2017 in DIY
Figured this may be a fun journey to post here since yoose' guys' seem to dig this kind of thing. 

YEARS ago I wanted to to a retro-fit style design, old-school (not Radio-Shack era, but pre-286X processors with turbo buttons) speaker. I was thinking Cerwin Vega, JBL, MTX, DCM kind of monkey-coffin. The name I came up with was to pay homage to the speakers of the era as well as Hair Bands to early Grunge music of the time...The Vegatrons. It is also slightly silly, which is a plus. 

I have been searching for cabs to retro-fit for the quad of 55-1240's I picked up when on sale. I went into Savers store near Boston where I was working thinking there may be a shot in such a busy area of making a score and boy did I ever!!!! 

A pair of Cerwin Vega DX-5's with rotted woofers! The grills will clean up nice, and any damage is cosmetic with no structural damage including the base that is attached to the speakers which still has all of its feet. 

I need to check the cubes and dimensions if they will fit both the 55-1240's a mid, and tweeter, and make sure there are enough cubes for a pair. If it does not work out, these may end up being my 3rd design team project retro-fitted to a modern, yet throwback 12" 3-way.

They are Made in America modles, and the cabinets are 3/4"OSB all the way around, not sure what is on the inside, but they seem to be about 35lbs each, and are fairly dead when knuckle testing them so I am hoping they will not need a ton of reinforcement. 

So what did I pay for this pair of retro rockers? $6.99. Yep, the pair was $6.99. A nice start for the wallet! 

I will use this thread to post progress, but there will likely be large gaps since it is a back-burner kind of thing at the moment. 

This is what the damage is mostly like:

D1PP1Nkennyk

Comments

• Nice score Mike! There is just something about those CV drivers and their orange/red surrounds - just brings back memories of high school and 80's rock and roll...............
  • Those woofers are worth repairing - CV always used above average drivers IMHO. 

Nice score - shit, I can't even find used detachable boombox speakers around here. 
    I have a signature.
  • That is a nice find. I usually have to pay more to throw away my stuff. 

Are those foam surround woofers that can be repaired? Are you planning on a complete baffle redo to fit the dual woofers or replace the existing woofers/drivers?
  • Right place at the right time, and when work takes me up by bean-town, the salvys, good wills, and Savers always are packed with tons of things coming and going. 

I was poking around trying to find info on them and they do sell re-foam kits. The spiders seem to be ok, and the coils don't rub when I give them a push.

Ani,
       That is the current plan. Cut the omd baffle out and fit in a new one. I am going to leave the areas where the grill guides are
     I want to be able to have them look stock when the grills are on. 

JR,
       I was thinking of giving the mids a measure and using them as part of the design. Methinks it will cross well to the paer cone tweeters from MCM I picked up. Since it was going to a compression/horn/piezo thingy for the up-high notes, I bet it has good top-end. 
  • Welp,
       I just asked ifnI can use these are part of my third deaigb team build. I will drop the woofer to a 10", but pay homage with a modernized version of the 1984 Radio Shack Optimus 45. 

They will be 'sleepers. Despite keeping the old, beat-up cabs as they are, removing the old CV Grills will yield a modern, high performance speakers built around the premise of the O-45's. 

Think ima keep this build a secret until done, at least around the other place, unless you guys are interested. 

I am going to post a teaser though. I am going to find a pic of the DX-5's (not mine), and crop the pic from the 84' Rat Shack catalog, and put them as DX-5 + Optimus 45 + a pic of Optimus Prime = ??? 

Should he fun anyhow. 
  • I hate you cannot edit via mobile. I need to change my habits an re-read for spelling/grammar when here. 

Feels great when I sound as stoopit' as I am. :/
  • Old school CV's, nice frickin score! Should be a neat build.