Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Protect your planar drivers from wind damage

These are impedances of a good tweeter and one that had been mounted in a cabinet that was transported in the bed of a pickup at highway speed. I'm guessing that the wind stretched the diaphragm lowering the resonant frequency. This is one of the tweeters from the speaker's that were at the CSS event, it was obvious that something was wrong when we hooked them up. So cover those planar or ribbon tweets if transporting them open air.

a4eaudioSteve_Lee

Comments

• THANKS for this ^

• I can lower the resonate frequency of my tweeter at highway speed, sweet! I can't wait for the DIY thread. I guess I can stop painting dots on them. ;)

jr@macSteve_Lee6thplanetPWRRYDcharlielaub
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Can't haul Apogees in the open bed of a truck unless they are boxed.

• Poor planar. I wonder if using those huge Bestons I have sitting around as a frisbee would lower their Fs?

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Poor planar. I wonder if using those huge Bestons I have sitting around as a frisbee would lower their Fs?

Well when you throw those frisbees do so in my direction I’ve always wanted to play with those lol

jr@mac
  • @dynamo said:

@jr@mac said:
    Poor planar. I wonder if using those huge Bestons I have sitting around as a frisbee would lower their Fs?

Well when you throw those frisbees do so in my direction I’ve always wanted to play with those lol

They are for sale. If they do not move at IowaDIY I will ship.

I have a signature.
  • I appreciate it JR, all joking aside I’ll be sleeping outside if I purchase any speaker stuff for the foreseeable future lol. If those are the big horn ones like I think they are I always thought they would be cool to pair with the pm220 as a mid.

rjj45
  • Raaaaaals come with a magnetic cover

rjj45
  • I thought this was going to be another one of those threads about how the cleaning lady wanted to dust off the speaker so she ran the vacuum all over the ribbon tweeter and sucked the diaphragm right out of it! (true story)

hifisidejhollanderSteve_Lee
  • edited October 2023

Yep, was Don Parsons, around 2006.

• Probably another good reason I should not buy Raal tweeters

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Probably another good reason I should not buy Raal tweeters

My Raals came without a shield and I haven't had a problem with them. My nephew has a pair of Viawaves and they came with a label over the ribbon and a warning to remove it slowly.

Ron

• All of my Viawaves came without any protection. So did my GRS ribbons.

I have a signature.
  • I might apply some blue painter's tape over my Viawave ribbons for the trip to and from Iowa. Probably not be needed but it can't hurt.