Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Listening Room Dimensions/Orientation . . .

edited October 2023 in Related

I'm noticing that having the stereo oriented off center upon the long wall and the listening position across from the stereo on the shorter distance to sound the best. I suspect this is due to the reduced reflections arriving at the listening position which destroy the horizontal dispersion.

Any thoughts on this?

|------[]------ Stereo--------[]----|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|--------------LP--------------------|

Rather than:

|---[]----Stereo-----[]---|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|---------LP---------------|

The distance between the speakers makes a significant difference in separation/sound experience as well . . . you can get them too close together as well as too far apart in trying to create a sound-stage.

Comments

• Yes, and if possible keep some distance btwn LP and back wall, and/or dispersion of some kind behind LP (i.e. books on book shelves works nicely).

Steve_Lee
  • edited October 2023

|--/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/--|
    |------[]------ Stereo--------[]----|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |. . . . . . . . . . . LP . . . . . . . . . . . .
    |
    |----/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/----|

• I've found that stereo/speakers on the long wall and seat on the opposite long wall is better.

This is also why I end up using less baffle step comp on my designs, as they sit close to the wall. Which is why my speakers suffer a bit at our gatherings.

Steve_Lee