Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Comments

• Looks like it.

I have a signature.
  • Another one bites the dust I guess. Fortunately the Silver Flute W17RC38 (-04 and -08) at Madisound are similar replacements. IIRC they use the same frame and the -08 has similar T/S specs as the MCM. The -08 is $35 which is very reasonable.

• The 5670 is an 8" woofer. The SF W17 are 7", and nowhere near as well hung. Last I checked, the SF did not have the same frame as these. The Zaph woofer does, but not the SF. Just checked again, MCM/SF, they are very different.
    The 5665 is the 6.5-7" version. I wonder if it's gone too.... Yep.
    https://www.newark.com/mcm-audio-select/55-5665/6-5-die-cast-woofer-8-ohm-rubbber/dp/95Y2935?ost=55-5665
    Double bummer....

Steve_Lee
  • I'm just glad I stocked up on useful drivers during Covid . . .

• I have a quad of those woofer for a project... if I ever get around to it.

Steve_Lee
  • I guess my Tandems didn't get completed before the woofers went disco....
    I'm still not certain I'm using the 5665 in them in finale. I have Anarchies on hand too....

• edited October 2023

Need to test all mine to be sure I don't have any bum ones. I'm bad about that. I saw someone get t/s params off one a while ago and was a bit of a letdown. Anyone else get perams for theirs to compare?

• edited October 2023

I'm just as bad about checking T/S as well - I check them for Re with a meter or test operation with a 9V battery to be sure that they aren't DOA or wired backwards when I get them and put them on the shelf.
    I should be breaking them in and checking them before the warranty expires though.

Those Eminence CX10's I bought wound up being Fs = 95 Hz after a week of break-in when they were spec'd at 49 Hz. Big disappointment because crossing them lower than 95 Hz just introduces audible distortion . . .

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    Another one bites the dust I guess. Fortunately the Silver Flute W17RC38 (-04 and -08) at Madisound are similar replacements. IIRC they use the same frame and the -08 has similar T/S specs as the MCM. The -08 is $35 which is very reasonable.

Oops, I meant the W20RC38. I thought the frames were the same size but the MCM is 8.63" while the Silver Flute W20RC38 is 8". My mistake.

• Same size I wasn't looking at, just the frame itself, so I misunderstood you as well.

• That's too bad. I've used a few of these, and sure they're not BMS 8N519s or Scan Revelators, but they always worked well for me.

• And still at the same great price. Tom S and I measured some of mine in Iowa a few years ago. His measurements confirmed my measurements which also agreed closely with the manufacturer's published specs. Hopefully they are still the same. It is a really nice woofer for an economical 3 way.

• Ron E used them in one of his projects for a friend as well.

• You could probably buy 8 MCM 55-5670 woofers for the same price as one ScanSpeak Revelator 8" woofer. I bet 2 pair of isobaric woofers per side would kick tail in a fairly small tower. Hmmm? Maybe I should buy 4 more.

• I look forward to seeing what you do with these woofers.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Ron E used them in one of his projects for a friend as well.

I did and he absolutely loves them. I also used them in the Sonotube bandpass subs I brought to Ankeny a few years ago. I still haven't made them pretty but I'm currently working on that.

Ron