Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sticker shock.

Haven't browsed drivers in awhile. Things have gone up!
I don't mind spending a lot, if I get a lot. Where are the very high quality, yet good value drivers these days? Which brands should get a close look?

Comments

• We've had that in Oz for the past few years due to the declining A$ and its value relative to the US$.

I made a pair of Curt Campbell's 'Slapshot' MTMs in 2014, with the Dayton RS180Ps costing about $65 each - now $140!

In that time, Peerless, SB Acoustics and Vifa drivers have only increased 10-15%, so they're my go to drivers now

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:
    We've had that in Oz for the past few years due to the declining A$ and its value relative to the US$.

I made a pair of Curt Campbell's 'Slapshot' MTMs in 2014, with the Dayton RS180Ps costing about $65 each - now $140!

In that time, Peerless, SB Acoustics and Vifa drivers have only increased 10-15%, so they're my go to drivers now

Geoff

You might want to stockpile a bit while you can. I'm kicking myself for not having a good stock of Peerless HDS drivers.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Good idea, but I already have too many.......

Geoff

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • With the exchange rate and sale, this price is about what they were.
    https://solen.ca/en/products/er18rnx08

• @maynardg said:
    ... Where are the very high quality, yet good value drivers these days? ...

I guess it depends a little on what you are looking for in "VERY" high quality. Scan-speak Discovery Series drivers (at Madisound in the U.S.) are good and good value, at least compared to the more expensive (and better quality) Scan-speak drivers.

SB Acoustics are very good value, and high quality but not sure about VERY high quality (Their ceramic coated woofers (CAC) and tweeter (CDC) are probably the best value in their standard line).. Their Satori line is very high quality and quite good value for the (pretty high) prices relative to Scan-speak, Purifi, etc.

Not "VERY" high quality, but there are some new woofers from Dayton Audio, the Signature Series, that look like great value, but they are budget drivers relative to Scan-speak, Seas, Satori, etc.

Other than the Dayton Signature Series, the rest aren't that new, so you may already be aware of them.

• Dynavox is still reasonably priced at Newark, although stock seems to be hit or miss.

Madisound always has great sales, worth checking in periodically.

Some of us sell drivers here at a good price from time to time.

PE has discounts site-wide for most holidays.

And of course, the MAC drivers are a great value.

I have a signature.
  • edited November 2023

I'm with you @maynardg

They've gone up across the board. And not just a little, a LOT. eg. SEAS, Accuton. I wonder what's going on over there at those companies.

I have to wonder about actual sales volume.
    Are these 6.5" or larger drivers becoming a rare species? From all indicators in the consumer market, it look like drivers are getting smaller and smaller.

I KNOW in many tech industries, it's about sales volume. Like you can even sell it for $1 profit, or even 0, or even at loss , well as long as sales are STRONG, then that's considered a good thing. Because then if can dominate the market... you can monetise later, in other ways.

So what happens to the low volume sellers? My guess that for every 6.5" woofer sold, a 3" driver is sold in quantities an order magnitude higher (ie. x10). I'm not in the transducer selling business, so I don't have access to these figures. But I know, experientially, that home hi-fi probably hit it's peak in the 20th century.

So if the sales numbers are sliding, then does per unit pricing have to go up to ensure revenue/profits don't go down? Otherwise you have to start balancing the sheet elseways, like cutting staff. Which no-one likes doing.

It's a strange world when Made in Denmark Scan-Speak Discovery (updated PL line) or Revelator (now about the same price as classic driver) and Hiquphon represent reasonable value.

• You might want to stockpile a bit while you can. I'm kicking myself for not having a good stock of Peerless HDS drivers.

@rjj45
    Which HDS drivers can you recommend?

Believe it or not, I've never bought any. (X)XLS were the only Peerless drivers I bought. The NE123W-08 also a gem in the rough, IMHO. But they were really Vifa first...

• Like usual gotta dig into each brand to flesh out the gems.

Dayton PC105 seems bring no complaints for 4" midrange use and is still $15.

For big bottom end the Peerless sls 8" is on sale at PE. 10" is also reasonably priced. Both not yet NLA

GRS has released a HE series of subwoofer drivers with nice TS specs. The 8" I think was cheaper at first, but popularity has driven it up to $50. Only $5 less than the 10". It is no ultimax but at near 1/3 the price it brings at least 2/3 the performance if not more.

• @tktran said:

You might want to stockpile a bit while you can. I'm kicking myself for not having a good stock of Peerless HDS drivers.

@rjj45
    Which HDS drivers can you recommend?

Believe it or not, I've never bought any. (X)XLS were the only Peerless drivers I bought. The NE123W-08 also a gem in the rough, IMHO. But they were really Vifa first...

The only Peerless HDS I ever bought and used was the 4 inch aluminum cone P835023.
    But I liked it so much as a mid, that I would not hesitate to use HDS again.
    Subjectively, they are as good as the Satori brand, although I never tested them side by side.
    I've got a pair of Vifa NE123 mid woofers on hand, and in a midrange "shootout" I did, they scored the best.
    Been waiting for some years in the queue to pair them with some Vifa 315 12 inch woofers I have.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited November 2023

Honestly, actively posting DIYers (like here) are contributing to driver manufacturers/retailers bottom line WAY more by building and posting online than by actually buying. My point in saying this is that everyone here should have a business account with PE and Madisound to combat the insanely rising prices of DIY drivers. Even then, there's only a few brands that offer really good business discounts, but for the yearly cost of a domain name where you post pictures of your builds, you could save 15-35% and help the seller in the process.

rjj45ScottSColonel7Steve_Lee
  • @DanP said:
    Honestly, actively posting DIYers (like here) are contributing to driver manufacturers/retailers bottom line WAY more by building and posting online than by actually buying. My point in saying this is that everyone here should have a business account with PE and Madisound to combat the insanely rising prices of DIY drivers. Even then, there's only a few brands that offer really good business discounts, but for the yearly cost of a domain name where you post pictures of your builds, you could save 15-35% and help the seller in the process.

I started typing a response to this but changed course. I am all for people subsidizing their hobbies, but I think that deserves its own thread.

• Maynard,

I think what you are after is world class drivers on an upper middle class budget?

I have read a lot about a couple of your designs, Tzu Jans and Malbecs specifically, and am a fan although I have not heard your designs personally, I am going by what other people have waxed poetically about them.

I know nothing when it comes to this level of design, but maybe others will chime in with their suggestions.

• I apologize if I stepped on any toes, I may have been doing some day drinking :)

jr@macSteve_LeePWRRYDdynamo
  • $70 for the RS180-8 these days just seems wrong to me. It's a nice driver, but they were $40 when they launched and well worth it back then. And $90 right now for the RS225-8. :o

Steve_Leerjj45
  • I have been using SB woofers lately and they have never disappointed me in any way. Great performance for their price.

Steve_LeeDanPjholtzdynamoJasonP6thplanet
  • So. Sticker shock.

Let's say that little imp on your shoulder convinced you to buy a set of MW16TX-8 when Mark was closing up shop. What the hell do I pair them with that isn't going to cost it's own small fortune?

• @Dirk said:
    So. Sticker shock.

Let's say that little imp on your shoulder convinced you to buy a set of MW16TX-8 when Mark was closing up shop. What the hell do I pair them with that isn't going to cost it's own small fortune?

Those are cool woofers. If it was me I’d be looking hard at some cat308s but that’s just my opinion. Otherwise for less than half the price of those I’d do an rt1.3we. End up with a higher than ideal xo point for a six but I think that is a special tweeter for $40..

Dirk
  • @Dirk said:

I don't think it is possible. The MW16TX are so good you will need a REALLY expensive tweeter. Really, your only option is to list them for sale in the MAC classified for a dirt-cheap price. =)

Also, there is an new Dayton AMT for $100. Wolf has a pair, but hasn't posted detailed measurements (I think he did post impedance curve). Probably 10-12% off on Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday. Even cheaper, SB26CDC-C000 for $61, maybe put it in an Augerpro waveguide (I can 3D print you a pair if you actually go in that direction).

Steve_LeeDirk
  • edited November 2023

SB Acoustics M13/6/9 TX: 273/298/346 USD (current Madisound pricing)

So here's the good news (all US prices)

18W/8531G:
    2006 pricing: $225 (according to Zaph Audio... but I do recall it was somwhere around here too)
    2023 pricing: $236 (current Madisound pricing)

R2904/7000 (the SS Ring Radiator)
    2008 pricing $398 (according to Zaph Audio... and I have a paper catalog somewhere here too)
    2023 pricing- $400 (current Madisound pricing)

D2904/7100 (the dome version)
    2008 pricing: $285
    2023 pricing: $339 - sure it's 18% higher pricing in 15 years. But likely cheaper in real terms.

I'll let readers decide on relative value.

but Scan-Speak... cheaper. Who woulda thunk it?

• I don't think it is possible. The MW16TX are so good you will need a REALLY expensive tweeter. Really, your only option is to list them for sale in the MAC classified for a dirt-cheap price. =)

I will take that under advisement. :-P

Waveguides have been on my mind. I have a delta with a 280mm dia build plate, so big WGs are a definite possibility. You're right--Black Friday is right around the corner. It's big value season!

• @Dirk said:
    So. Sticker shock.

I would pair those woofers with a pair of Airborne 5002 AMT tweeters, but that's just my opinion.

Dirk
  • I think Don or Chris are on the right track there if the previous candidates are no longer viable. The RT5002 is a really low HD tweeter. It has some curves to sort out like I did in the Nephila, but I think it would pair very well. The RT1.3WE is also a gem at its price.

• @Dirk said:
    So. Sticker shock.

They'd definitely be an OB mid, no way I'd hide that backside in a box.
    That said, youl have to bite the bullet to complement those units.

Billet
  • @Tom_S said:

And $90 right now for the RS225-8.

A$209 in Oz!

SB20pfc is a nice driver with similar specs (not sure about the sound) and is about $70.

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • Not sure Ive seen mention of these yet . SB Acoustics , comes in both 4 and 8 ohm flavors.
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb20pfcr30-8-4-paper-cone-woofer-4-ohm-round/

• SB Acoustics makes some really nice stuff.

jholtzJasonPSteve_Lee
  • Dollar for dollar, tweeters are generally better than woofers. There is no real need to match tweeter cost against woofer cost.

That being said, I would honestly pair the Textreme SB with the neo version of their dimple dome. The one with the small faceplate. Absolutely blown away when I used them in the Sugar Cubes.

JasonPrjj45Dirk
    I have a signature.
  • I have a spare set of that very tweet. I also have a pair of pre-Christie BG Neo3 PDs. The Neo3 is the current front-runner in the selection process.

In an attempt to drag it back on topic, the GRS clone of the Neo3 ain't shabby for the price...tthough QC can be a bit of a lottery.

6thplanet
  • @Dirk said:
    I have a spare set of that very tweet. I also have a pair of pre-Christie BG Neo3 PDs. The Neo3 is the current front-runner in the selection process.

In an attempt to drag it back on topic, the GRS clone of the Neo3 ain't shabby for the price...tthough QC can be a bit of a lottery.

If you are in a selling mood, I may be interested in your pair of the SB...

I have a signature.