Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

University 315-C 3 ways

I had dinner with a friend last night and he gave me a pair of these Beasts! His father bought them back in the day and build fridge sized boxes for them. The boxes are long gone but he saved the drivers. I might have time to do a little testing this weekend. He still had the original instruction sheet that came with them. Here are the scans of that:

jr@mactajanes6thplanetWolfSteve_LeeSilver1omougly_wooferNicholas_23BilletS7910

Comments

• edited November 2023

Holy shit! Check those out! That awt a be a neat project. Hopefully they survived the times.

Ha! 8cf minimum😛

Nicholas_23
  • Snoopin around the web it looks like these are circa 1963ish. They look to be in pretty good shape. I couldn't feel any woofer compliance though. The spiders and accordian surrounds have probably stiffen up from sitting for decades.

Still sitting in my car's trunk:

jr@macWolfEd_Perkinshifisidetajanesjhollander6thplanetSilver1omougly_wooferNicholas_23and 1 other.
  • I still have a pair of 8" accordion surround University Sound speakers here from an old PA system that were used as midranges . . .

• Very cool! I'm betting you can come up with better crossovers than the originals.

• ....and these better show up at inDIYana!

• Not sure if they even work. My friend said the enclosures were tossed sometime in the the 70's and these have been sitting on a shelf (must have been a pretty big shelf) since then. So what, potentially 50 years?

6thplanet
  • Oooo I love cone rebuilds!

• Breaking them in with 4 Vrms.

Nicholas_23
  • Just amazing that they survived all these years.

• Yeah I'd love to see these in a restored capacity, wow

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Ditto , I love this old stuff! Might be able to run these off one your tube creations Craig

• Unfortunately I don't have the space for 8 cubic foot speakers.

• edited November 2023

An H frame?

• You need my Address?

• @hifiside said:
    You need my Address?

Possibly :)

• @Billet said:
    An H frame?

I would guess these could be very nice OB on a 18" wide baffle, actively crossed over to a decent subwoofer somewhere around 80 Hz.

6thplanettajanesBillet
  • Hmmm? I have a MiniDSP, lots of amps, and a RS315HF sub that kicks it down to 24 Hz ???

hifisidetajanesS7910
  • Yup, I was thinking OB, too.

• Gonna stop by local Habitat for Humanity resale store after work Monday. Sometimes they have really cool bench tops or other sheet goods (super cheap) that could be made into test OB baffles.

hifisidejhollander6thplanet