Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

What is that I-R leg doing on the tweeter?

I've been less active in recent years, so I've lost much of what I once knew. What is the I-R shunt leg doing on the tweeter?

Comments

• edited November 2023

Looks like a notch but that 0.56 inductor to ground will get me in trouble if I say anything more . . .

• My immediate guess would be to tame a large impedance peak at tweeter resonance.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • That looks to me like something you would use to soften the knee of your high pass filter (maybe if you were trying to achieve a first or second order acoustic slope either overall or "for a while").

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Looks to me like they are doing one of 2 things.
    1- using an LR to parallel a resistor with the tweeter below the rolloff as applied by the 0.56mH and 8.2uF to suppress the resonant frequency.
    2- using a combined damping of the L and LR to not apply as much adjustment to the response as with either or, and in more specific ranges.

Typically, an LR in this position adjusts the damping of the knee of the rolloff where 1-4 ohms is typical value range.