Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Harman buys Roon

edited November 2023 in DIY

https://darko.audio/2023/11/harman-buys-roon/

I'm on the fence about this. I respect Harman, but big corporations gonna do what big corporations do. We'll see what comes. I hope they don't take away the ability to build and attach your own end points.

Tagged:

Comments

• I guess I am unfamiliar with Roon - can you explain like I'm 5 what you mean about attaching your end points?

I have a signature.
  • Me too, please!

• What happened with Agagon/Acurus when Harmon bought them?

• @jr@mac said:
    I guess I am unfamiliar with Roon - can you explain like I'm 5 what you mean about attaching your end points?

Roon is a streaming audio player similar to Volumio. I have used it on a Raspberry Pi to stream my music. Harman will probably be using this to provide multi-room audio, similar to Sonos.

tajanesSteve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Roon is a client-server music software. Strictly speaking, you license/subscribe the server, and can connect whatever clients you want to it. The list of supported clients is a mile long, including builds that can run on Raspberry Pi single board computers. There's a lot of attention paid to the handling of your bitstreams to ensure that no unnecessary sample rate conversions are done and no losses sneak in. Audiophile approved, if you will.

But its real special sauce is the handling of metadata, the indexing of artists, and the ability to seamlessly merge one's Tidal or Qobuz with the local media. It's great a great way to browsing and get lost in your catalog.

rjj45Steve_Lee