Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

JBL art

edited December 2023 in Related

Thinking my next build needs to have a bit of JBL flair. Maybe a cabinet that’s width is > depth, L-pad, a blue/purple baffle (even if under a black cloth grill), and importantly a funky waveguide. Toss in a bit of BBC dip, a decent bottle of red, and I’m Groovin’

Steve_Leejr@mac6thplanet

Comments

• JBL 4344 released 1982, same year I was released. 😀

jr@macGowa
  • I'm sure that won't lack for output capability.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I love it! I have fantasies of an L100 tribute.

• edited December 2023

I've caught myself daydreaming about doing a JBL style build a couple times too. Even have a blue-grey paint that reminds me a bit of that powder blue. Painted our kitchen with it.

tajanes
  • W= DSA315-8 M= Faital 5FE100 T=Beast Mode 🤷‍♂️

tajanes
  • Those 123A's were a fine specimen of a woofer.

I got the pleasure of replacing the mids in a set of L100's for a guy. Definitely a gold standard for monkey coffins.

• A guitar player my wife worked with had a pair of OG L100. Sounded alright, but modern speakers really do perform better. I would like to hear the new version - JBL has learned a lot about speaker design in the interim.

Dirk
    I have a signature.
  • I just sold a pretty rough pair of L100s to guy I've been doing vintage repair work for. They had a mid with a VC rub so I never got to hear them playing properly. I have a pair of L112s, but the surrounds are gone. I will probably just have Midwest Speaker Repair do those, since the coating on the cones is easily stained or damaged.

• I've owned my share of JBLs. My friend owns the L100 vintage 70's. They love to rock. Here's a list of JBL product specs.

tajanes
  • edited December 2023

Unique driver placement
    And don’t forget those butt-cheek tweeters

Steve_LeeTom_S
  • @tajanes said:
    Unique driver placement

Radio Shack sold a butt cheek tweeter many years ago - I believe it was either rebadged or a knockoff of a Kenwood design. Different from the JBL, however.

I have a signature.
  • edited December 2023

@jr@mac said:

@tajanes said:
    Unique driver placement

Radio Shack sold a butt cheek tweeter many years ago - I believe it was either rebadged or a knockoff of a Kenwood design. Different from the JBL, however.

I know they had the Dual Radial Horn Tweeter > which I had thought about for my next build. I'm leaning towards a bit of a winged waveguide- and see how much damage I can do (ha) to the vertical and horizontal wave propagation of the beyma slot super tweeter. I'm hoping to blend in the horizontal with the Markaudio's broad range at the top. I'm expecting the Xover is going to be in the 8 to 16kHz range, and with any luck a series 1st order (with an Lpad).

jr@macSteve_Lee