Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Data Recovery

I know it's not speaker related, but I'm calling on my friends.
Awhile back I screwed up big time. My laptop failed and I lost basically everything from about two years ago. Stupid me never backed anything up. The main loss is my music, as in my personality made music. All my current life's work. It's the hardest loss I've had to deal with other than lives.

It's an M.2 Nmve SSD drive. I've looked into the recovery businesses and watch/read countless info on it. From my inspection it's the VRAM chip that's done. I wish it was just a simple shorted cap, but that chip gets hot, and a few caps measure 280 ohms connecting to it. My experience, when caps short, they get hot, when it's the IC, it gets hot. So I know if one of these companies looks at it, it'll probably be on the high side of the scale cost wise, if it's even salvageable.

My question is, has anyone done this sorta thing? What's your all's experience with this? Any trusted insights? I'm kinda at the point of biting the bullet and paying whatever it takes to have my music back. It's so fucking depressing to not have it.

jr@macrjj45

Comments

• Sorry brother.

I have a signature.
  • IDK about SSD data recovery, but I've had a couple of spinning platter hard drives fail.
    I used "ddrescue", lots of options. Another "trick" for data recovery was to put the hard disk in a freezer overnight. No idea if that would help a SSD, Good luck my friend.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddrescue

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Sorry for your significant loss, Eric - that sux.
    No help on recovering NVMe SSD's as I have never experienced this failure, myself.
    It won't help to tell you how I am set-up here with 4 PC's scattered about the 20 acre property so I'll shut up.

• I assume you've tried the drive in another machine.

• Yeah, three different ones and an external drive holder.

• Sorry to hear all your own music is now inaccessible. If you decide to send it out, you might consider Rossmann Repair Group in Austin. He (Louis) seems like a legit guy and is a leading voice in right to repair efforts.

6thplanet
  • That was one place I was looking at, thanks.

• I just gotta say, dude, I'm gutted on your behalf. God luck and good speed.

6thplanet
  • didn't have any nvme drives fail on me yet, but my photo collection is very precious to me. I have been meaning to setup a NAS but still haven't got around to it. plan is to have mirro drives setup and have all my data on it so i have a failsafe if one drive goes bad. But these would be platter drives - still no cost effect bif SSD's. But the NAS will not get moved a lot so should be ok.

Once you do manage to get your data back, please setup some sort of NAS with RAID 1 or 5. I am planning with go with RAID 1 full mirroring.

6thplanetrjj45
  • I put an old dual core MB that had SATA ports in an old case and put a cheap SSD boot drive with a 4Tb NAS backup drive in it running NAS4free. NAS4free has apparently morphed into XigmaNAS. I just bought another 4TB NAS drive for $90.

https://xigmanas.com/xnaswp/

My house was wired with 1GB ethernet and the NAS can keep up with it on large file. I capture a lot of OTA and web videos so I have a TB of video files. One SNL file is 21GB

Ron

• Thanks! Will look into that. I definitely learned my lesson.

• edited January 2

RAID NAS is the answer for sure and what all my PC's are connected to for personal data.

I have a copy or two of those songs you sent me if you want them . . .

• @ani_101 said:
    didn't have any nvme drives fail on me yet, but my photo collection is very precious to me. I have been meaning to setup a NAS but still haven't got around to it. plan is to have mirro drives setup and have all my data on it so i have a failsafe if one drive goes bad. But these would be platter drives - still no cost effect bif SSD's. But the NAS will not get moved a lot so should be ok.

Once you do manage to get your data back, please setup some sort of NAS with RAID 1 or 5. I am planning with go with RAID 1 full mirroring.

I ran Raid1 mirrored spinning hard disks, but have read somewhere that Raid is not good on an SSD, can't remember why just now. Have run a Synology NAS for about 7 years, very stable, but can't serve video to my Roku as good I'd like.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I've been running a Synology RAID NAS with 2 1TB SSD's for the past several years with no issues so I'd like to know what the issues are, RJJ . . .

rjj45
  • edited January 2

We went to a 100TB cloud server for our video files & projects at work this past year. It's surprisingly fast. We were heavily invested in Drobo NAS boxes scattered around 8 offices. Two of the bigger 16TB units at other offices just stop responding in the same month. Many other users around the country reported the same issues. At that point Drobo was MIA when it came to support. What a crappy company.

• edited January 2

RAID 5 in particular is not good for solid state drives because the data check summing reduces drive endurance. Write 1kb and it results in anywhere from 16kb to 32MB (or more) in writes on another device, depending on the block size set in the array. It's probably not a huge deal for home servers, though I wouldn't be using it for my home surveillance video storage.

I second the cloud storage. I know it feels good to DIY it, but there's value in the offsite backup aspect. Opens up options for collaboration, too.

Steve_Leerjj456thplanet
  • @Dirk said:
    RAID 5 in particular is not good for solid state drives because the data check summing reduces drive endurance. Write 1kb and it results in anywhere from 16kb to 32MB (or more) in writes on another device, depending on the block size set in the array. It's probably not a huge deal for home servers, though I wouldn't be using it for my home surveillance video storage.

I second the cloud storage. I know it feels good to DIY it, but there's value in the offsite backup aspect. Opens up options for collaboration, too.

thanks, very good info.
    Although most people are not aware of the risks in cloud storage, the disk images and automatic backup seem to be quite solid. Where operational outages have come it's usually networking. (BGP can be problematic)

• I know the freezer trick works well for mechanical drives sometimes, but if you suspect your SSD is overheating, it might be worth a try freezing it and trying it. Or leaving the entire PC in a freezer while you try using it. Probably a long shot, though.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Freeze spray may not be a bad idea. I hesitate to mention this because you can go from damaged to beyond repair easily. A can of duster upside-down will work the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Techspray-1672-10S-Envi-Ro-Tech-Freeze-Spray/dp/B00NNCMWCQ?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2UC0Z3LD1M94T

6thplanet