Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

In search of a new amp, or two...

I had to send my Emotiva A2M in for a warranty repair last week, so that left me with an SMSL 36 Pro as a backup for our main system. The SMSL is OK, but I prefer my Emotiva much more. I have also been using the Emotiva for speaker measurements, so I'm kind of dead in the water until I get it back.

So,

1. I would like to get a dedicated speaker measurement amp. Maybe Dayton APA150? Any suggestions? Maybe something cheaper?

2. Since our game room speakers are finished (and they sound a lot better with the Emotiva), I was thinking of upgrading that amp as well. I am cheap, so under $200.

Any suggestions?

Anybody got something gathering dust on the shelf you want to part with?

Comments

• edited February 25

I use the APA150 a lot for speaker measurements - never a problem with that use.

This is my favorite vintage Class AB amp.
    Clean and powerful. Kenwood KM-208
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/186314375126?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zVksNYR1R-y&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=0ripsWycTN2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @rjj45 said:
    I use the APA150 a lot for speaker measurements - never a problem with that use.

I have been trolling the local craigslist for a vintage amp, but so far have come up empty. Found a Kenwood KA-3500, but it needs some work and I have never attempted to repair an amp.

• I use the APA 150 in my test rig. Lacks any real horsepower but will drive a 4 ohm load just fine.

Jakes_dad
    I have a signature.
  • @Jakes_dad said:

@rjj45 said:

I have been trolling the local craigslist for a vintage amp, but so far have come up empty. Found a Kenwood KA-3500, but it needs some work and I have never attempted to repair an amp.

You really have to look up specs for the vintage stuff. I typically use "hifiengine" - free account sign up.

The Kenwood I linked and some others are pretty great, but a few years later Kenwood was making receivers listed with .1% THD (EESH!). I got a vintage Yamaha receiver with 35 w/ch that was very clean. Keep looking, something will pop up. Don't forget FB Marketplace.
    If you can't repair amps, don't buy a fixer. Made that mistake, and of course, never fixed that amp.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Kornbread said:
    Not much of a reach https://nordacoustics.co.uk/product-category/nord-value-line/

I had looked at those before I bought my Emotiva. Unfortunately with the current exchange rate and shipping, that one comes out to about $425.

• 2008 lol.

• How much power do you need?

• @hifiside said:
    2008 lol.

2008 join date.

• @Tom_S said:
    How much power do you need?

20 watts

• There's an Onkyo TX-8220 on Amazon for $230.

• There's also the Yamaha R-S202 for $200

• @Tom_S said:
    There's an Onkyo TX-8220 on Amazon for $230.

I bought that very same one (from Amazon) for $200 recently. I like it except for a noisy Bluetooth channel when I turn it up. I'm to lazy to look into it since I have other options to stream through it. I've been using Onkyo CR-325 mini CD receivers (22 WPC) for many years and that's what I'm currently using for my test amp. The cheapest power amps around are pre HDMI surround receivers. It not unusual to find them for $50-$100. A friend gave me one last year.

Ron

jhollander
  • Jakes_dad, where are you located?

• @Ron_E said:

@hifiside said:
    2008 lol.

2008 join date.

Oops.😬

• Facebook Marketplace

rjj45
  • @kenrhodes said:
    Jakes_dad, where are you located?

Boise

• @Jakes_dad said:

@kenrhodes said:
    Jakes_dad, where are you located?

Boise

I'm in Washington and have a few amps I'd be willing to ship.

Current Audio AMP870A Does 50x8 @ 8ohms or 70x8 @ 4ohms or 140x4 @ 8ohms
    Denon AVR-5803 Does 170x7 @ 8ohms or 200x7 @ 6ohms and is stable to 4 ohms This thing is a beast.
    Denon AVR-3801 Does 105x7 @ 8ohms or 130x7 @ 6 ohms

All work perfect and are in great shape.

• I hit up Craigslist this morning and found a Dayton APA-150 for $100. So I picked that up.

Then this afternoon I found these:

Onkyo TX-8020
    Denon DRA-425R
    Denon DRA-295

The Onkyo and the 425R are in like new condition and the 295 is not far behind.

The best part is I paid $60 for all three. :)

Did a short listening session with my garage speakers when I got them home and they all sound great.

trawrjj45a4eaudioSteve_Leejr@mac6thplanetSilver1omoColonel7jhollander
  • Love the clean look of that Onkyo!

rjj45
  • What a steal! Sometimes it just lands in our laps

• I use an old Onkyo in the garage because it was rated for 4 ohms.
    Picture of garage system:

6thplanetSilver1omorjj45
    I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:
    Love the clean look of that Onkyo!

Yeah I like the look of that one too. It is an entry level unit, but it sounds pretty good, better than the 425R and comparable to the 295. Going to need to do some more listening to decide which I prefer. Plus it has a subwoofer out and phono inputs, neither of which I use right now, but nice to have as I have a stack of vinyl on the shelf waiting for the day I decide to buy another turntable.

• @jr@mac said:
    I use an old Onkyo in the garage because it was rated for 4 ohms.

I used to have that same amp, unfortunately it died a few years back.

These are my garage speakers:

jr@macWolfhifisideNicholas_23rjj45
  • what are your thoughts on your 3 way build? Looks like TB on the bottom and vifa? mid?

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    what are your thoughts on your 3 way build? Looks like TB on the bottom and vifa? mid?

They usually sit up on a shelf in the garage and are only playing at low volumes in the background on a cheap amp, but when I pulled them down yesterday and did some critical listening to those amps, I was reminded how good they sound. I was actually kind of surprised. These might have to come in the house for a bit.

Tang Band W5-1138SMF
    Vifa TC9FD-18-08
    Vifa OT19NC00-04

They started life as Scott Sehlin's Hafniums. As a learning exercise I redid the crossovers. They was certainly nothing wrong with the crossovers, and they most likely don't sound as good as his, but I learned a fair bit while doing them,
    and I think they turned out really good.

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin-sound-solutions/hafnium

Who knows, maybe they will make the trip to DDIY.

• @Wolf said:
    1138/TC9/XT25SC90.

Missed it by 6mm......

PWRRYDhifiside
  • I was close, darnit. It is one of my favorite games.
    Missed it by that much....

rjj456thplanet