Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Grs GRS 8SW-4HE

edited April 29 in DIY

H
Has anyone used this subwoofer? are ts parameters acurate to real world measured? box size and tuning recomendations?

Comments

• I didn't measure TS parameters but it tunes down to 41 hz in a .5 cubic foot sealed box.

• I did a clamshell isobaric with dual 8" PR's in a 0.5 cuft box that worked very well, box tuned to 27Hz with PR's and it gets low and not too bad with power. Currently running as 8 ohm series load off couple hundred watts with ease - not tried running from stereo amp (invert polarity to one) where I could use a BTL icepower amp that have couple of that puts 450watts into 4 ohms per channel. Anyway, but in that configuration I was very impressed, maybe confirmation bias wanting to think less distortion from iso coupling.

• I Think JR had a good/glowing review of them in the past.

JR?

• Not I. There is a pair in my garage that belongs to another member, however. See what he wants to do with them.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • I stuffed one in a PE 0.67 knockdown (sealed) and a buyout PE 80w amp with (I think) 3db boost @ 40 hz and I thought it sounded great. Subjectively- deep, tight, punchy. Ran it in the garage for a few weeks before gifting to a coworker. For $50, no complaints whatsoever.

• edited April 29

https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/2307/grs-8sw-4he-little-beasts/p1

In this thread I posted a screenshot of my DATS measurements. When simmed, they seemed too much for any inexpensive PR combo (when given full wattage). And a standard round port would be giant for the small enclosure space they work well with. So I tried a folded slot port.

I realy didn't mess with it much though. I'm thinking of repurposing it in a small sealed box so I can fit it under my PC desk and actually get some use out of it. If you are close enough to attend any of the events near Ohio that I go to then you can have this slot port enclosure.. and maybe the plate amp too for what I paid at the PE garage sale ($25).

Like tommytunes50 is saying: The plate amps with boost would probably work nicely with this in sealed config. That is what those amps are designed for.. Extending the output of a smaller sealed sub to give frequency response more like a ported one.

Steve_Lee
  • PE offers it in a kit w/ 0.35 knockdown, either with the 300w +6 db@30, or passive. Since 80w had no problem getting this thing to move, 300w seems a bit much. I think 100w would do just fine.

• edited April 29

Pairing with a 300watt rms amp seems odd since the driver is rated 150watt rms.