Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Hand Held Paint & Finish Sprayers . . .

There was some discussions here a while back involving paint sprayers & airless finish applicators.
I find myself looking for one now and seeking your experiences [good, bad & ugly] and material/paint/finishes shot through yours, please.

The unit that I seek would do double duty shooting acrylic latex as well as Duratex [thinned] and possibly urethanes both water/oil based.

TIA.

Comments

• I use a Fuji Q4 turbine. It seems to have atomization and transfer efficiency balanced pretty well. HiFiside did a video on a Harbor Frieght turbine. Check it out on the youtube.

Steve_Lee
  • Brad did a youtube vid on the Harbor Freight unit a couple of years ago: https://youtube.com/watch?v=YQAzYlGPTrQ
    You might need to thin the acrylic latex too, Brad would know.

Steve_Lee
  • Both are air based systems and over spray can be a real issue so, Does anyone have feedback on airless sprayers - hand-held-small project?

• Zero experience with the small hand held units but I can say that the ~$300 airless paint sprayer I bought from Home Depot to paint the exterior rough wood siding of my house was worth every single penny! I only spend 1-1/2 days cutting with a brush and about 4 hours to spray the entire house. When I first bought the house a couple of decades ago my Father and I spend an entire week painting it with just brushes (sans the overhanges that we could roll). If I never use that thing again it totally paid for itself in my opinion.

ugly_wooferSteve_LeeScottS
  • If you have the facilities to spray an airless sprayer indoors? Go for it. But, They have a huge learning curve and make a mess because of the material they push out. They can lay down fast drying latex very nice tho. There biggest down fall is getting them clean after use. Your next project always seems to have some specks of the last project. My .02

Steve_Lee
  • edited May 4

I can't comment on airless. My rig is hvlp. for the $100 I paid it works nice for thin water based products. I used it once for an oil based paint. While it worked well enough, it sucked to clean.. but that is the case for anything oil based stuff touches. I used it to spray water based poly on installed cabinets once. It was OK but I sectioned off the kitchen with plastic. When you are aerating anything it is bound to get everywhere unless you physically block it.

Steve_Lee
  • Someone mentioned thinning down Duratex - that will not make it spray grade. They do sell a spray grade option, however.

I have a signature.
  • edited May 4

That ^ was me as I have done so with water and a roller to reasonably good effect. I have never sprayed it before but have read elsewhere that others whom of which, thinned/sprayed - had.
    Good to know there is a sprayable option and I'm sure that HiFiSide has a suitable product for this.

• Not to hijack this thread too badly, but I watched Brad's youtube video where he applies the water based truck bed liner with a roller. Brad if you read this I have a question. In the video you mix up some sort of grain/hole filler with a powder, Titebond II, and water. What is that powder product and where can I buy it?

Steve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Not to hijack this thread too badly, but I watched Brad's youtube video where he applies the water based truck bed liner with a roller. Brad if you read this I have a question. In the video you mix up some sort of grain/hole filler with a powder, Titebond II, and water. What is that powder product and where can I buy it?

It was my own formula I came up with, but to bring it to market was to much legal crap involved because some states will eat it.

6thplanet
  • "States will eat it".

I am not following this - please explain, sir?

• Hmmmm - OK, Must be full of ground up cats or something - too bad - I was looking forward to an easy particle board-edge-filler . . .

• I'll eat whatever I want! If I'm pooping Ken's custom brown bondo for a week that's none of your business. :#

PWRRYD
  • So I'm poop outta luck?

• edited May 4

Looked similar to the "setting" type drywall joint compound. I have even heard of folks adding Titebond to it. Around here it goes by USG Sheetrock "Easy Sand" in various rated cure times.

I don't know if it works well compared to the stuff he came up with. But I probably will try it some time.

• @PWRRYD said:
    So I'm poop outta luck?

I messaged you

• I have had good luck with mh ready patch over MDF.