Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Crossover advice - The Garageniums

I have reworked my garage speakers, they were originally Scott Sehlin's Hafniums, so that's how I settled on the name. This is also the first time I have ever named a pair of my speakers, not that I have built very many. These will be mounted near the ceiling and out a little bit from the corners in my garage.

The before:

The after:

Here is the crossover I came up with:

And here is the measurement(1/24 octave smoothing, taken at 1 meter on tweeter axis) :

And the impedance:

I just wanted to get smarter people than me to review my crossover to see if there are any potential problems. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Steve_Lee6thplanet

Comments

• I’ll let others jump in re your crossover, but really nice looking re-work. And + for the shallow BBC dip.

Jakes_dad
  • Without seeing the original measurements and distortion plots its hard to make an accurate assesment of the crossover design. Even with all the measurements- how it sounds is another matter.
    Looking at the on axis responce you are in the range of a BBC dip but it might be a little forward. Play with DSP/eq to see if you like it as is or with a flatter response around 10k.

• Are you able to take polar measurements.
    If not, eyeball an 45 degree off axis measurement, either to left or right of the speaker and one above or below.

Bass tuning seems very low for 5” driver.

• Tuning 35-45 is average range for the w5-1138.

• @kenrhodes said:
    Without seeing the original measurements and distortion plots its hard to make an accurate assesment of the crossover design. Even with all the measurements- how it sounds is another matter.
    Looking at the on axis responce you are in the range of a BBC dip but it might be a little forward. Play with DSP/eq to see if you like it as is or with a flatter response around 10k.

I have been listening to these off-axis a bit, because that's how It will be once they are mounted in my garage. I am happy with how they sound. I tried padding the tweeter down some, but I liked this better.

Thanks,

Richard

• @tktran said:
    Are you able to take polar measurements.
    If not, eyeball an 45 degree off axis measurement, either to left or right of the speaker and one above or below.

Bass tuning seems very low for 5” driver.

I have taken some measurements at roughly 45 degrees to the right and left, but I should probably take some more. Making a turntable for speaker measurements is on my to do list.

• @Wolf said:
    Tuning 35-45 is average range for the w5-1138.

Yeah, I kind of missed the mark on that. I built these originally a few years ago and wasn't set up to do driver or impedance measurements. Looking back at my winisd file it looks like I was shooting for 37. Don't know where I went wrong, but I will fix it before they get buttoned up.

• My original Hafnium tuning was in the low 30's also. That was a good place to be as long as they weren't over driven. They work great with a 30 Hz high pass, which some vintage receivers and modern pro amps have. The SB acoustics oval passive radiator models very well with the W5-1138 for a tuning closer to 40 Hz in the same enclosure and better power handling.

I decided to apply your crossover to my original Hafnium measurements and it was interesting. The tweeter seems a couple of dB hot on-axis if anything, compared to the original Hafniums. I don't see any major issues otherwise except phase issues around the mid-tweeter crossover which would be expected due to the different driver orientation.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions