Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Fountek Neo3.5H Ribbon Testing . . .

This ^ thing is so flat, clean and wide with no annoying peaks or dips.
I just got around to clamping it upon the top of my little towers (naked - no baffle) in place of the also awesome HiVi RT1.3 Isodynamic tweets.

It is a drop in replacement that is so smooth and has no peaks anywhere while listening to the same test tracks.
The HiVi unit has a pronounced but delightful response but this Fountek unit just sounds more natural.

Highly recommended.

Comments

• I've got a pair languishing here.

I have a signature.
  • JR - These [Neo3.5H] things deserve a mid to XO/accompany them like the SB12MNRX2-25-4 because they are also so flat and clean with no annoying peaks/dips (I have a pair) - SPL-wise, they should blend well.

I'd love to see what you can come up with as a MT combo using passives, Sir.
    Do you also have those mids in your cache?

• I do not have those mids, but I have the similar buyouts from PE from a few years ago. I do plan on using them someday as I am really a ribbon guy these days.

6thplanetSteve_Leerjj45
    I have a signature.
  • JR, IS it worth your time and effort in creating a passive XO/cabinet design and documenting it for us [currently] DSP-only guys in exchange for a pair of SB12MNRX2-25-4's shipped to your door to keep?

Maybe Wolf has the time and parts to do this for us, if not you?

Just asking/testing the waters - this is a good combo, IMO . . . Open to feedback.

:)

• I used the 3.5h crossed to a HIVI C3N-III, and I have to say that speaker is my favorite I have heard in the mid/highs. It made for a really flat mid to top end. I have also wanted to use the SB12MNRX2-25 and think it would make a great combo.

Steve_Lee
  • I'll give it some thought - I have a few irons in the fire right so would likely enlist Brad's services to do the cabinets.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Steve,

Can you (1) measure the depth of the waveguide and (2) maybe post several pics at different angles of the tweeter?

I may design a 3D printed waveguide for the GRS knock-offs.

Other than JR's favorite one with the round faceplate, the rest have come down another $10 since March 20th.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • If I hadn't just bought a new carb for the truck, I would grab a pair of the little fellers to do a budget banger with.

I have a signature.
  • I sold my pair to Don without even trying them :/

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I sold my pair to Don without even trying them :/

They join a couple of other pairs of ribbons on my shelf.
    I gotta retire soon, and get serious about building speakers!

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited May 10

@a4eaudio said:
    Steve,

Can you (1) measure the depth of the waveguide and (2) maybe post several pics at different angles of the tweeter?

I may design a 3D printed waveguide for the GRS knock-offs.

David, Yes I'll get you the dimensions and pics and update this post with that data - Here are some screen shots from Madi's site:

• The Neo3.5H and the HiVi DMB dome are 10.25" apart CTC and sound seamless - sound stage has more depth - I was quite pleased by this serendipity.

PWRRYD6thplanetjr@mactajanesAnalogkid455
  • edited May 11

This is great tweeter.

And someone already measured it; so you don’t have to.

Also works great on a baffle

Note that is has real response up to 40Khz, but without the peaky resonance of hard domes.
    A gem IHMO.

Steve,
    Have you considered a LR2 4Khz high pass crossover for it? In conjunction with a bit of EQ to flatten response of the DMB-A, add a LR2 4KHz low pass for it, then reverse the polarity…

Steve_Lee
  • I shall give that ^ a try, Thanh - thanks for the suggestion.

• @tktran said:
    This is great tweeter.

Steve,
    Have you considered a LR2 4Khz high pass crossover for it? In conjunction with a bit of EQ to flatten response of the DMB-A, add a LR2 4KHz low pass for it, then reverse the polarity…

Just configured the new Control-4 amp and applied your settings as follows on the mini towers (above pic) and it sounds holographic/like actually being on the drum kit in a live session with musicians all around me!

Note that each stereo driver pair are inverted:

Incredible!

I love tinkering and learning new stuff - if I ever had it all figured out I would lose interest quickly . . .

=)

rjj45
  • Note that each stereo driver pair are inverted:

Why?

• Try it and you will understand, Ken - I don't actually know why it sounds so good right now and I am packing to get out of here - I'll get back to this when I can . . .

Best!

rjj45
  • edited May 24

To be clear, for each speaker. your tweeter should be inverted with the mid, in a LR2 crossover.

But you’re putting your left speaker out of phase with your right speaker??

Hmmm.
    I think some physical wiring might be out of phase. Or you’re sitting in a spot where has a null. OR, you just enjoy it a bit more having L/R channels out of phase. It’s a spatial/open sensation that’s hard to describe, and can be surprising at first, but may grow odd over time. Anyway, you can look into it when you get back.

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • Will do, and thanks.