Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Glue, refoaming, voice coil reglue etc.

I have four Infinity 8" woofers, as some of you know, and I need to refoam 3 of them and one has a loose voice coil.
The dust caps are concave and are polygraphite. Is there a way to get these off so I can line up the voice coil without destroying them? What glue should I use? Where do I find the shims?

Comments

• I would recommend refoaming all 4 at the same time. The refoam kits usually come with glue.
    Shims, like they say at the grocery store "Paper or plastic". I use 4 whenever possible, make sure you have the length long enough that it can't fall into the motor, fishing them out can be a real pain. Bending the tops of the shims can be handy as well.

Brad has an amazing video on the subject:

jr@macAnalogkid455ugly_wooferSilver1omo
  • Companies like Simply Speakers or Speaker Exchange sell a the supplies to do the job.
    As for removing the dust caps, man, that's gonna be a tough one. Especially making it clean.

Analogkid455
  • Yeah, not worth the effort or expense, unless you want the practice.
    I refoamed a set of Snells a couple of years ago, and it went pretty
    smooth, but those had paper cones.
    Get some of the GRS woofers for cheap.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Maybe try some kind of solvent to loosen the dust caps. Lacquer thinner? Worst case scenario, you could replace to dust caps, they wouldn't look original, but they would at least give you useable drivers. You might even be able to find duct caps with the Infinity logo.

Analogkid455
  • I already have the surrounds. I also bought another woofer for 17 bucks. If I can't get the voice coil attached to the spider properly, I will chuck it and use the replacement woofer.
    Most of this is just to see what can be done with these original Infinity drivers. I also bought some magnets to try to lower the Q a bit. I already refoamed one that works just fine. Everything in, I have maybe 120 bucks into them. I did learn that expoxy is needed for the voice coil. I used rubber cement on the surround. Took forever to dry.

• Aleene's Tacky Glue is an asset to have. Superglue can be used at times where others won't work, especially the gel.

Analogkid455
  • The glue provided for my recone was all super glue type stuff with the activator spray.

Analogkid455
  • I have used gorilla glue for this but I don't recommend it as it expands but holds really well.
    Fixed some 30 YO JBL Studio Series coaxials with it and are still going strong.

Analogkid455
  • Gorilla clear glue would probably work, but not the polyurethane glue as you said.

• I have yet to refoam, but If I ever do I have always been interested in the method of playing a relatively low level test tone through it while aligning by feel. The tone will let you know if it is touching anything. That way the dustcaps can stay on.

Analogkid455
  • As to shims, a deck of playing cards has often been suggested.

I've yet to have to do a surround install or recone as well, but I've read enough about it that I think I could do it by taking my time.

Analogkid455
  • Installing a new surround would be easier than reconing. The hardest part about a recone is getting and keeping the VC centered to the top plate as you install everything.

Analogkid455